08/06/03 - Memphis Car Audio To Police Ebay Sales

Discussion in 'Mobile Electronics News' started by The_Ancient, Aug 7, 2003.

1. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

.Memphis Car Audio to Police eBay Sales

August 6, 2003 -- Memphis, Tenn. - Memphis Car Audio has taken new steps to protect against unauthorized product sales on the Internet. The company has announced an arrangement with Ebay.com to restrict the listing of Memphis Car Audio products on the Ebay Website.
    "It's very important that we protect our retailers," said Erik Harbour, director of technical services for Memphis Car Audio. "Ebay has been very helpful in restricting the unauthorized sales of Memphis products. Working together, we can restrict the Memphis Car Audio products that are sold illegally on the Internet."

Harbour said that Memphis Car Audio will "diligently monitor the Internet" for unauthorized sellers and shut them down immediately. "We literally go through the listings one-by-one to make sure no one operates outside our distribution channel," said Harbour.

"It's in the consumer's best interest to buy from an authorized retailer," Harbour continued. "Products purchased on the Internet or through any other unauthorized seller voids the consumer's product warranty."

Memphis Car Audio's products are sold only through authorized independent 12-volt retailers. The company also prohibits sales to mass merchants or mail-order companies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

Could this be the End for Car Audio On Ebay, Will other Manufacturers Take this step too??? I hope so :D

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

This is just another example of the old-school, bricks-and-mortar industry holdouts.

I personally find the psychology behind this all-too-common-attitude fascinating! Also, there is more than enough to speculate about, trying to brainstorm practical reasons why a company might want to push for adaptation of such a policy... ;)
    Personally, I believe it's two factors: profits (which are larger if you are selling through retailers who are paying top dollar), and Public Relations.... that is, there's the impression that this is how "the good companies" do things.

I find the psychology fascinating, because in my mind, I see many parallels to communist China, and their efforts to prevent their people from getting free-world internet content...
    Just like the inevitable outcome for Chinese citizens ("where there's a will, there's a way.. to get internet content")..
    There will be an inevitable outcome for car audio consumers ("where there's a will, there's a way.. to locate and use retailers that are of good fit to the customer")

Personally, I'd rather be in the position of being a retailer who's not like all the others...
    Inevitably, customers are going to feel manipulated and used...
    "Why are manufacturers supporting local monopolies?"
    "Why do I have to pay more money, to get a warranty on the same product, from an 'authorized dealer'?"
    "Why do I have to pay exhorbitant fees to have an 'authorized install' performed, when I know how to do it myself?"
    etc..
    I'd rather be the retailer supporting the consumers asking these questions, since most of them are NOT supporting these customers..
    While at the same time, more customers than not ARE asking these kinds of questions... or are turned off from purchasing car audio gear altogether!

I'd rather have not only the majority of the customers as grateful customers, but also those woulda-been customers as well!

It's always in interesting, somewhat paradoxical scenario, this whole "authorized dealer" concept, being so tightly locked to business values that Americans traditionally deplore...
    Monopolistic practices...
    Lack of freedome of choice...

Just something to mull over. ;-)

3. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

I agree 100% with this

but on the same tocken, I have spent a Great deal of time and effort setting up my Web site and support system, as well as the costs associated with this, only to lose sales by Ebay Scammers either selling Referbished, or Grey market Products as new with Prices set at Dealer cost, Out Right scamming people, or Selling at a 1% margin

So it s a Battle,

Hell Polcat told me awhile back Kicker would not even consider any new Web Dealers until the Ebay Situation is under control......