Wiring issue?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by Ant, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Ant

Ant New Member

Audio info:
    VW Mk4 GTI
    OEM Monsoon Amp
    Sony headunit
    Polk audio speakers and tweeters

I'm having an issue with my front driverside speakers.

When the "left front negative" wire is unplugged from the headunit harness my speaker will play music but constantly buzz and pop. When I plug in the wire my headunit goes into failure mode.

Speakers and tweeters are brand new and I had this issue before the install. My guess is that the wiring is bad.

I bypassed the harness to check if the harness wiring was bad. Didn't fix anything. So the wiring between the speaker and harness is bad?

I don't know where to go from here.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. trance86

trance86 Full Member

It sounds like the speaker is grounding out improperly probably due to factory wiring. I would take the speaker out of the door and run direct speaker wire from the speaker to the head unit and if thats tests ok, then go through the harness. If that tests ok as well you know it was the factory wiring. If that didnt fix it there must be something wrong with the unit itself where as you had this problem before installing different speakers. Also if you have crossovers with those speakers, make sure both the tweeter and mid have the same issue before running your tests. Otherwise it would be an issue with the crossover even though it is brand new. Happened to me recently.