Will this port design cause problems?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Nevermind, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Nevermind

Nevermind Guest

its a top view of a slot port. Obviously blue is wood, red is sub. Lets say it's 13.5 by 2.5

[​IMG]

Air has to go through that U shaped bend

is that ok?

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

it is fine. Just measure through the middle of the U bend for the proper port length.

3. Nevermind

Nevermind Guest

Thanks. Now I gotta decide between 12a and Brahma.

4. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Easy Choice IMHO...

5. Nevermind

Nevermind Guest

Oh yeah? which one? 1000 watts is the power.

I might end up sealed.. i cant be running a 53-100" port..

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Justin W is one of few people who have actually heard both drivers and is not affiliated with either company. His statement was that the A is awesome, but it isn't a Brahma. Smart man, good taste... I think that says enough for me. Depends on your wallet, but if money weren't the issue, I would go Brahma.

7. Nevermind

Nevermind Guest

So the brahma would be better at 1000 watts sealed too?
    The sealed box is 10" front to back, and 1 cube inside BEFORE displacement, is that ok?

hmn, the brahma isnt much more expensive shipped.

Im sticking to 1000 class D watts... I cant be upgrading alternators, or "magic wires" for my set up.

Although Bart Etter's 1600 watt class D looks tasty. I suppose it wont really tax the system unless its cranked.. which it RARELY if ever would be...

8. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here....

How is it an easy choice? Have YOU heard the e12a yet? Considered the RMS differences on the two drivers? (Brahma being double that of the A)

I'll agree, Justin knows his stuff. He is also one man, he can't accurately speak for the entire population of car audio enthusiasts. Did he have equal amounts of power on both drivers? Does he run a Brahma currently for his daily driver?

I know you're in love with the Brahma, but given the power requirements, I'd still take serious consideration in the e12a.

However, since Nevermind has 1000w already, this doesn't really matter for him. For me, it would it would be a serious consideration.

The quality of the two are so similar, that i dare say for someone who hadn't heard either one of them, you could install each one in a similar environments, and they would both sound VERY similar given their respective RMS power (1600w Brahma vs. 650w E12A). SPL differences SHOULD obviously occur, but who's to say?

Who's heard the E12A? To my knowledge...not enough to justify picking the Brahma over it.

9. The_spacemonkey

The_spacemonkey Full Member

I've heard the 12A, but not a brahma yet. I can tell you that the 12A was just beyond beautiful. Very accurate detailed bass. VERY natural sounding. It also was loud as hell in the sealed box I heard it in.

I want to hear a brahma :(

10. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here....

How is it an easy choice? Have YOU heard the e12a yet? Considered the RMS differences on the two drivers? (Brahma being double that of the A)

I'll agree, Justin knows his stuff. He is also one man, he can't accurately speak for the entire population of car audio enthusiasts. Did he have equal amounts of power on both drivers? Does he run a Brahma currently for his daily driver?

I know you're in love with the Brahma, but given the power requirements, I'd still take serious consideration in the e12a.

However, since Nevermind has 1000w already, this doesn't really matter for him. For me, it would it would be a serious consideration.

The quality of the two are so similar, that i dare say for someone who hadn't heard either one of them, you could install each one in a similar environments, and they would both sound VERY similar given their respective RMS power (1600w Brahma vs. 650w E12A). SPL differences SHOULD obviously occur, but who's to say?

Who's heard the E12A? To my knowledge...not enough to justify picking the Brahma over it.[/b][/quote]
    You answered yourself well enough in the tread without my posting. I pointed out someone I know who has heard both drivers. I will take Justins word on it. He and I seem to have extreemly similar tastes in equipment, and in this world of internet sound equipment, sometimes you have to find someone with similar tastes. Justin does not run a Brahma in his car. Yes same amp as the brahma, same car. If 400 watts were enough to push a Brahma, I think I would be plenty satisfied with 1000 ;) .

You are asking me how I can justify saying I choose the Brahma over the A? Simple, the Brahma has been in the hands of the public for over a year now, the A hasn't hit but a dozen cars, for a couple months. Most people not affiliated with ED haven't heard it. I am wondering how you can justify questioning this opinion and offer that the A might suit him better with these very obvious facts presented to you? Hypocracy Chris, it doesn't suit you ;) .

11. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

You answered yourself well enough in the tread without my posting. I pointed out someone I know who has heard both drivers. I will take Justins word on it. He and I seem to have extreemly similar tastes in equipment, and in this world of internet sound equipment, sometimes you have to find someone with similar tastes. Justin does not run a Brahma in his car. Yes same amp as the brahma, same car. If 400 watts were enough to push a Brahma, I think I would be plenty satisfied with 1000 ;) .

You are asking me how I can justify saying I choose the Brahma over the A? Simple, the Brahma has been in the hands of the public for over a year now, the A hasn't hit but a dozen cars, for a couple months. Most people not affiliated with ED haven't heard it. I am wondering how you can justify questioning this opinion and offer that the A might suit him better with these very obvious facts presented to you? Hypocracy Chris, it doesn't suit you ;) .[/b][/quote]
    I prefaced this by saying i was going to play devil's advocate, not that i was going to attack Seth ;) . All i wanted was an explanation, or reasoning as to why you personally wouldn't give consideration to the e12A. I'd say you explained yourself very well. I've heard some people say that 400w isn't enough for a Brahma, I've heard some say it is. I understand your point that no one has heard the e12A, therefore he should be weary, but at the same time, I don't believe its reason for him not to consider it. I'm not telling him to go out and buy one w/out reading any reviews, but at least give it some consideration.

You didn't say before that Justin W had similar tastes in equipment as you did. I as well would trust someone who's ears i trusted. There aren't many people who i can trust for opinions like that.

The e12A was made to compete directly with the Brahma, IDMAX, and W7, give it a chance to do that.

Don't take everything i say as a personal attack. You know good and well that you and I don't see eye to eye when it comes to equipment. Sometimes i just don't see where you're coming from when you say things, therefore i feel the need to ask :).

P.S. How was my prior post hypocritical?

12. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

I didn't see it as a personal attack, I just tend to type more harshly then I mean to... No issues...

Similar tastes in equipment AND in music (between Justin and I). Sometimes differant musical tastes can show through equipment if you take someones word as well.

I reccomended the Brahma and you questioned it because I haven't heard the A. You seemed to reccomend the A even though you haven't heard IT. Seemed hypocritical to me ;).

And we will always have words, Chris. Untill you get my age and realize you don't know everything... But I do :lol: :lol: :lol: . We're cool. But when you come over to the shop next time or my house... Well that may be a differant story :D ;)

13. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Ok, good. I didn't recommend the A, I just don't want you to write it off... I will probably never run an Adire or Elemental product, so i'm completely unbiased. My whole point was to give it a chance before you go and say that the Brahma is better. I don't know that it is, and you don't either.

I don't know everything, I've never claimed to :).

And uh, don't hurt me :p

14. Warbleed

Warbleed Full Member

Both drivers will work pretty damn well in that box. With 1000w, I wouldn't expect either driver to hit their respective motor or suspension limits, since you have around 0.85 cubic feet of usable box volume.

They both should be around the 20mm range for xmax in that box. I would honestly expect very little output difference between the two drivers. Ideal boxes are going to be damn near the same for both drivers as well.