what am i doing wrong

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by taylor25, Feb 4, 2010.

1. taylor25

taylor25 Member

i have a alpine pdx 1.1000 hooked to a jl w7 13 and its fine when u listen to music but as soon as it goes to hit a deep bass note it kicks the amp of and give it a second or too and it turns back on. So i thought i had it hooked up wrong so i took the sub out and checked it was right. Not knowing what to do i hooked my old setup back up an older eclipse 12 one of the aluminum ones with a 500 watt kenwood amp and it cut the sub but didnt turn off the amp im at a loss and have no idea what to do someone plz help

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

What gauge wires are you using? Check all your connections, terminals etc. do your lights dims at all when cranked?

3. taylor25

taylor25 Member

yea they dim and ive checked all the connections but as of right now im using one of those cheap instilation kits i have 2 gauge wire to put in but i dont know why it didnt do it to my old system but it does now

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

maybe your batt is slowly going dead. have your charging system checked to make sure its ok.

do the big 3 also.

5. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

just take into account all amps have a certain voltage range in which they can operate, so if your electrical system is dropping below the amps low voltage point it will cause it to shutdown. Put a meter on the battery when the car is running and the stereo cranking, you will the voltage jump up and down, see how low it goes, then you will have a better idea of whats going on.

6. taylor25

taylor25 Member

thank u guys i work at advance auto parts so ill check it tomorrow when i go in and im really new to all of this stuff i just want to thank u again for all the help i had no idea that a loss in voltage could shut it down and i know this is probably a dumb question but what is the big 3

7. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

big 3 = upgrading battery -/alt to batt +/engine -