two 10s or 1 12incher

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by fstrfvo, Sep 6, 2006.

1. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Being pushed by the same amp Which will put out more dbs. 2 tens have 20 inches on cone space versus one 12. The tens are PPI C2s and the 12 is a Boston pro, both would be in a sealed enclosure in a trunk being pushed by my trusty mtx 942 amp mono bridged at 4 ohms putting out about 1000 watts. Right now im running the Boston and the ppi subs are gathering dust in the garage. Just wondering if the tens would hit harder than the 1 12 inch sub.

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Lots to consider.........

must look at the efficiency. enclosure gain, and power handling of each scenario. Give me ALL the specs and I can tell you what will be louder.............

3. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

specs for Boston

Resonant frequency 31 hz
    equivialent volume 84 liters
    moving mass 117 g
    linear excursion one way 8.5mm
    peak to peak excursion 40 mm
    reference efficiency .39
    rec amp power 50-1200 watts
    rec enclosure is 1.0 ft in sealed enclosure
    -3db down point in car is 20hz
    system q is 1.1
    voice coil dcr 3.1 ohm

ill have to look up the ppi specs

4. TheViking

oh ya, what kind of car????????????????/

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Enclosure has a lot to do with this...

6. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Viking, here are the specs for the PPI Subs.

Vas 68.14L
    fs 25.24HZ
    dispaclement 065 cu ft
    4 layer voice coil
    peak excursion 17.25mm
    sensitivity 89.64 db

I have used these subs in a bandpass box that was ported through the rear center armrest, sounded awesome but as I stated in a previous post wife got a flat tire and the box was so big the auto club couldnt get the spare out. so away it went. Running the 1 12 Boston now, but as i said just wondering if these would sound better. Dont want to spend the $$ on a box if there wont be a differance. The car is a 2000 Taurus that has a huge trunk. The ppi subs are both 8 ohm so I would wire them to show a 4 ohm load to the amp, so both boxes will see the same power. What do you guys think??

7. TheViking

Ok. lets make this simple, what is the EFFICINCY or SPL at 2.83 volts input!!!! thise numbers will HELP!!!!

thanks!

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Yes...Viking is correct...most sensitivity and efficiency ratings today are overrated.

Here is a calculator that will give you a general idea of what the real ratings are

http://www.mhsoft.nl/Reference.asp

9. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Boston gives a reference efficiency at .39 but does not show at what voltage. Sorry ppi does not give this spec. What happens at 2.83 volts? Is it just a standard measurement, like spl at 1 meter at 1 watt?

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

1 watt is equal to 2.83 volts correct??

11. TheViking

no................ wish i could remember the damned info on that info!!!! beena while and the beer is flowing good!

but no, 2.83 volts is more accurate and consisant in its rateing

12. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

ok nevermind...lol

13. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Ok lets get back to the basics. Both boxes will be pushed by the same amp at the same impedence 4 ohms. Just one will have 2 10 inchers and the other will have 1 12 incher. Im just assuming the 2 tens will be louder because they have more cone area, 20 inches versus 12. But the Boston has 40 mm peak excursion and the PPIs have 17.25 mm excursion, but there will be 2 PPIs versus the 1 Boston.

14. TheViking

AGAIN!!!!!!! what are the sensitivities/ efficiencies!!!!!!!!!!! that is KEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Boston does not give a efficiency rating for thier speakers. The website states that since there is no "industry standard" As how companies measure the efficiency of thier speakers IE different enclosures, different impedence etc. Boston states that effenciency ratings are not a good way to measure speakers from different companies. But they do give a reference efficiency of .39 at 1khz and they state that if you plug it in to a box building program it will give you an efficiency for the speaker. I thought this was a simple question, guess not.

16. TheViking

Odd, why measure a sub at 1KHz when it will never see over 100Hz.........

Anyway..........

I would go with the 2 10 inch subs. Yes the surface area is greater. and in the proper enclosure they will stomp some ass. As always, I say go with a vented box.

Damnit, why the hell must all the speaker manufactured come up with new shyte that makes us old timers even more confused than we already are???

17. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Cuz its just soo easy....haha

18. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Im just going by what the website said. You have to admit that Bostons engineers are some of the best in the business. Thier speakers have always been at the top of all catagories. By the way whats the differance between vented and ported enclosures??