solo x is finally mine!!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by manutdfan7, Jan 15, 2011.

1. manutdfan7

manutdfan7 Full Member

Hey guys, havent been on the forum for a while so wanted to say whats up to everyone and say i def missed learning and hearin about one of the best hobbies in the book.

So my dream sub is finally mine i got a 1ohm 12in 2500 watt rms 5000 watt max kicker solo x in a dual ported custom made box for 300 bucks about 5 days ago... so pumped!!! i currently have it in a chevy 86 s10 4banger ext cab. I have my old sony 1200 watt amp hooked up to it right now its bridgeable but the fact that the amp is a 4 ohm an the sub is a 1ohm i dont no how to wire it so if some one could give me some tips on how to bridge it that would be cool. i have a 4g wiring system in the truck as of now i want to upgrade to the "big 3" i have an opt red top battery so far i need the 0g wire an an up-build on my alt so besides doing that i wanted to hear your guys thought an views on how to make the best system i can with my dream sub that i now have i plan on keepin my piece of sh*t s10 for a long time if not as long as i live cause i dont want to be with out 4x4 drive ever again. If you have any questions about my setup that i failed to mention just ask and i will try to answer to the best of my ability.

thanx in advance for the comments and the help guys.

2. eviling

eviling Full Member

I highly doubt that sony amp is 1 ohm stable....especily bridged. very few multi channel amps are bridgable at 1 ohm.

something like this would push what your amp is claiming to do
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14639_Power-Acoustik-BAMF-2000-1D-BAMF2000-1D.html

perosnaly in my experience wiith kickers, espeicly their square models, you dont really need to utalize all their wattage space. i pushed 300 watts into an 800 watt kicker once and it kicked like a ****ing champ.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. morespl

morespl Full Member

Before going crazy with that solo x be sure to do these things

If the sub is new break it in if the sub is used inspect the coils if it has discoloration and is not red all the way from the top to the bottom it might be about to go. Next thing that sub claims alot but utilizing it is another thing,Two things that sub has a specific installation http://www.kicker.com/sites/default/files/2007 SoloX 10-12 Sub g01 Web.pdf
    That link is the pdf for the sub the next thing the wattage this sub handles is based on the box This sub needs a recommend 6 cubes to peak at 2500 watts rms It is a good sub but pay close attention if you start smelling a smell that smells like a burnt vcr turn the volume down let the sub cool and turn your gain down.This sub is great I had the 18 but It would not handle the claimed rms the coils kept stinky so I sold it because I would end up blowing the spair.With my experience this sub is a spl sub and needs alot of baby setting When running this sub make sure your not clipping and abusing it because it will blow quikly and you will by a spare.Definitely this is not a novice sub. Get something that does the rms the sub claims in the manuel for the box its in and go from there.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  4. morespl

morespl Full Member

Is this sub dual 1 or dual 2

Thi will make a major difference in the amp you buy.

5. manutdfan7

manutdfan7 Full Member

thank you for the info i checked that all out an will look at it again. what kinda of db on avg were you gettin with the 18?

6. manutdfan7

manutdfan7 Full Member

That looks like a very nice amp but if i wanted to push the sub to its full potential what would you recommend amp wise if i was lookin at gettin something in the 3500 -4000 watt range?

7. morespl

morespl Full Member

is your sub dual 2 or dual 1

that will tell me what amp to reccommend the db question I'd say in the box and out the trunk no wall 145 but that was on the brink of extinction,Thats a geustimate never miked it.

8. manutdfan7

manutdfan7 Full Member

very nice man i bet it sounded nice an il get the specs for the box i have it in as soon as i can off my buddy

9. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Whats your budget on the amp man? I assume it is a dual 2 sub. Right? Budget is a big factor.

10. manutdfan7

manutdfan7 Full Member

hey wus good johny? an what do you mean by "dual 2 sub" do you mean the ohms ? an if i can sell my 2 15s for about 300 that would be about my budget tops 400 bucks.

11. jonnyv713

Ok, and ya thats what I mean. What are the voice coils. Since you are saying it is 1ohm, I am assuming it is a dual 2

12. morespl

morespl Full Member

13. jonnyv713

14. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

if your budget is only 300 to 400 for an amp in the 3000 to 4000 watt range, what will you do for the wire needed to support an amp that big?

and you know you'll most likely need a battery back there too.

heres what i would do on such a small budget.

http://cgi.ebay.com/AUDIOPIPE-AP180...Amplifiers&hash=item5adafd2a77#ht_3773wt_1141

that leaves you upwards of 200 for wire and a batt. unless you have 4 gauge going to the rear already.

then just a decent batt and some more wire to go from the amp to batt and for the big 3 upgrade.

i have 4 gauge going to my rear batteries and i have no power issues.

i have one nine.1 @ 2 ohms 900 watts and my phoenix gold M44 is putting out somewhere near 300 watts for my front stage.

you could get away with the 1500 watt audiopipe too. i know people who personally have both and they put out rated with good electrical.

they've had them clamped to prove it.

hell if my 12 could handle 3k id buy the 3000 watt amp and a matching 4ch to boot.

15. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

16. manutdfan7

manutdfan7 Full Member

okay i already have red top battery i need to put in my truck and i also have to spare batteries one is an durlast gold battery and the other is just a reg walmart battery that came in my truck but its in pretty good condition. I also already have a 4g wire running in the truck already but i still think i should upgrade an go to the 0g wire but my question would be how do you wire both the spare batteries together or would you guys just recommend using one of the spares not both?

17. manutdfan7

manutdfan7 Full Member

18. morespl

morespl Full Member

That boss

that amp is no where near 5000 watts If that is the loudest you have heard then you never been to a competition you start running 3 to 4 thousand watts rms to that solo x you might not have it to long its 2500 watts rms in the right enclosure. The power that you need to run a amp is determined by the current it pulls most amps in that range are around 200 to 300 amps of current.I have alot of experience with that specific sub and I ran 4k to a 18 so did my buddy with that much power it will become a burp sub no more daily.

19. manutdfan7

manutdfan7 Full Member

your completely right iv never been to a car audio competition which sucks because iv never heard of anyone in my area. The first time i ever heard that sub i was in the very back of gas station lookin at the movies for rent an i heard this system i walked toward the front off the store prob took me 8 to 9 seconds when i got into the parking lot and stood there for about 5 seconds lookin for the car but he hadent even pulled in yet... im not sayin its the loudest its by far the loudest in my area which istnt sayin sh*t because no but in my super low class small town has any money at least to put into car audio. An i dont want my system to just be for competition i like to ride around an bump wherever i go so i would like to get it as loud as i can but not competition level....