Old School Goodness

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Old School Fool, Nov 10, 2010.

1. Old School Fool

Old School Fool Full Member

Images pending, LOL

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  2. Old School Fool

More goodness in the Caddy. Will probably mess around with some different amps. The 10" T1 is pounding, the highs and mids are Hybrid, but The gain is turned all the way down on the Orion because of the power.

I had the guys from American Radio in Cumming, GA install everything and they did a great job.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2010
  3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

that battom amp in the first post, is that a linear power? Thats some great looking equipment. Brings back LOTS of memories. And the system in your ride looks very nice!

4. Old School Fool

Its actually the Mosfet 300 without shroud. But I do have a linear power 2502iq in plum crazy color. I'll try to find a pick. Also have a couple of HCCA225 and the bridging modules.

5. TheViking

225hcca with bridging module.....now THATS what im all about! Is it the 400 bdg? would love to own one! The first generation Orion amps had the audio outputs configured with the positive rails truely positive on the speaker outputs, and the incoming signal had to be inverted on the right side to get them to do a push - pull on the audio outputs...in mono configuration....

but you probably knew that already! this thread is giving me wood for old equipment! LOL!!!!

I said it in another thread at one time, i wonder how well the old stuff rates against the new stuff? wattt for watt that is...

that 475sx...its one helluva an amp..... I believe it is based on the original XTR series of amps. Does it have a mini XLR input?

6. Old School Fool

The xtr475 I have has the DIN plug input as well. The Bridging modules I have are the 400BDG, both are red like the amps.
    As far as I can tell with quality and old/new comparisons is that the old stuff is generally better quality. To get the same quality today you have to go with really high end stuff like Tru, audison, brax, McIntosh. Its really hard to beat a class A, A/B amps for SQ, as well as unregulated power supplies. I can crack open the Linear Power amp and have to count the TO3's on my fingers and toes, a seriously built amps for sure. I do like the newer Punch 150 25 to Life I have in the Caddy. It puts out some serious power with 3 - 40amp fuses.
    I have nothing against the new amps, but nothing beats an old school Punch, Orion, Linear Power, Soundstream, a/d/s, Precision Power, Audio Art, US Amps, Hifonics, Monolithic and Phoenix Gold.

7. TheViking

Those old power supplies really let them amps perform if you had the current and voltage for them! I remember a few i modded years ago....a few orions. Simply changing out a diode to a different value made them perform like a dammed top fuel funny car! But like a funny car...they needed rebuilt after a few runs in the SPL lanes! LOL! Today....its different. limited power supplies, self protection, and regulated outputs.....thats what i see nowadays. Of course, too many folks out there dont know when to stop turning up the bass knob when an amp clips, so it is in the amp manufactures best interest i suppose to make these new amps "bullit proof"

Over the years i have worked with all the brands you have mentioned. The class A and A/B amps were the best, no doubt. Over the years I found that the HiFonics typically took the most abuse, sounded good, but ran hot due to lack of heat sink andpoor design of said...

the A/D/S were my personal nightmares...seemed like no matter what those darned things would have engine noise in them! LOL!
    PPI and RF, they both had ups and downs...when the first generation HDs came out...they were JUNK...Lots of failures. they performed OK, but not like the OLD PUNCH non HD amps...I still have an old ORIGINAL punch 45 somewhere btw..

Soundstreams.....Hmmmm....I liked em....but dangit, they were kind of a pain...always blowing up. again, that the earlier models. Alot of this was due to the sales staff selling a soundstream to a customer wanting not only SQ but also SPL.....wrong amp for that! They got much better over the years....the High current/high power switch...remember that? it worked pretty good, just lowered the power supply rail voltages to allow the amp to run at a low impedance...it actually did quite well even at .5 ohms. (but dampning factor suffered. a little sloppy in the lower registers)

I like this thread! Brings back ALOT of memories! thanks old school fool!

8. TheViking

Now, let me get started on the orion amps !!!!!!! well, maybe later! (my personal favoite amp)

9. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

Is your box in the last pic leather wrapped?

Its looks awesome!

10. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

nice amps.

like ive said before too. i have 3 old school PG M series amps. an M44 4ch and 2 M50 2ch's,and a series Vll or Vlll hifonics vulcan. i had all four in my truck before and my system never sounded so good.

wish i never took them out. i still have the vulcan running my front stage. no rear fill now, and an Elemental Designs NINE.1 on a single 12. im surprised how the vulcan can keep up with the 12 on 900 watts.

11. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Anybody remember the HOTT setup amps? I found one yesterday at the swapmeet but the dude wanted $70 and didnt know if it worked. I passed. But they were decent back in the day.

12. monster71

monster71 Full Member

Man the pictures r sweet. Those things look brand new. Did you have them repainted or something? I see them fairly often at a local swapmeet where they sell tons of used stuff but what they have definetely look used.

13. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

I agree 100%. They are BEAUTIFUL for their age!

14. Old School Fool

Thanks for the replies. I have owned all these amps since they were new. Found them in my storage shed when cleaning it out. I think the Power 100HD has never been used. I bought the Blue shroud from a guy on the Rockford forums.
    The sub box in the back of my wifes car is wrapped in vinyl.

Had many different systems in the late 80's and early ninetys, but I forgot about all those amps.

15. Heat Seeker WS6

Heat Seeker WS6 New Member

Wow, blasts from the past! great pics

I sold the Punch 75s and the rest of that line back in the early/ mid 90's.
    In my basement I still have 2 Pioneer GM-H50's

and when my old daytona was around, it had Soundstream 3.0 and 6.0 Class A Amps powering a pair of Pioneer TS-301C 12's.
    Prior to that setup I had an Earthquake DPA 275 running a pair of Earthquake 12's in a huge ported enclosure -2.5 sq/ft for each sub.

That was just as CD players were coming around and my 1st head unit was a Pioneer KEH-M7500 then I got the $600 big dog (still cassette!) Alpine 7525 head unit w/ ERE-G180 eq. The crossover was an active 3 way Earthquake.

It was fun having the 0 gauge running to the fuse block in the hatch and 2 4's coming out of it.

The Orion HCCA and Hi Fonics class of amps and etc were the cats meow back then as well

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  16. connerray2010

connerray2010 Full Member

LATE 80's!!! i wasnt even thought of. i was swimming in my dads nuts praying to lord i didnt get wiped on the sheets lmao.... looks good though.

17. des343

des343 Full Member

i have a rubicon 404 too...but i blew a couple resistors and have yet been able to find someone to fix them :( its such a great amp i dont want to get rid of it

18. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

ampmedics.net

he's local to me. tampa fl area.
    http://www.ampmedics.net/

19. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

20. Old School Fool

thats a pretty nice amp.