New box for my brother

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by aznboi3644, Aug 21, 2007.

1. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

New box for my brother...NO 56k!!

Well last night I figured I'd start to build my brother a new box for his MTX MZS1204 before he left for college again today.

Wotal time spend building the box was about 5.5 hours...i take my time. also it was hot and moths kept flying in my face and on the back of my neck...and some more time spent on smoke breaks. Started around 10:30 PM and went for the test drive around 3:45AM...yeah then woke up at 8 this morning to go to work haha...fun night

Well he wanted tighter bass and a smaller box.

The original box was an ABC enclosure...my first one i've ever designed and built...thing is that it is big enough for a 15 inch sub lol...the higher bass notes weren't all that great but damn the lows were pretty good for 300 watts and one 12. Didn't have that punch. The only reason it was huge is because it started off as three sides that i put together and didn't touch again for about a year...started off for two subs...then i figured i'd try out an ABC box.

I'll save the ABC box and just cut out a bigger hole for a 15 inch sub...i'm sure it'll slam pretty good...this week I plan on bedlining it.

Well on to the new box...external dimensions at 35.5" x 14" x 14"

Specs on it...i'll keep a secret lol

Just kidding it is 2.5 cu ft tuned to about 39Hz with a 12.5 inch X 2. 5 inch slot port.

Anyone want pics?? haha

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Me before i started...safety glass ftw

[​IMG]

My garage sound system I put together earlier that day..before it was just some crappy speakers and that deck...now it is that old deck and an old home amplifier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The garage speakers...mids from a JVC stereo lol...these enclosures are ported...dunno what frequency they are at but it is pretty low...these sound decent with some major eq-ing of the treble

[​IMG]

The paper sketch

[​IMG]

The fresh board of MDF

[​IMG]

My 30 dollar garage sale circular saw

[​IMG]

My I don't even know how old Craftsman jig saw

[​IMG]

My orbital sander my dads friend gave me

[​IMG]

The cut wood and my drill and my screws and my glue

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dry fit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Overall sound was a MAJOR difference...bass is a lot tighter...more punchy...and overall a pretty flat response and a happy customer.

When he comes home for thanks giving i'll sand it all down and paint it

comments welcome

Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

nice.......what no vid?lol

4. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

about a half hour before i finished it it started to sprinkle...then it was pouring down rain so no vid...maybe i'll do a vid when my gets home here in a lil bit.

warning though...video will suck really bad. Camera is horrible at vids haha

5. pedro quiroga

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

haha...those are some shooting glasses i got...work good as safety glasses.

"I'll be bock"

with a vid one my bro comes home here in about 20 minutes

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Its amazing what happens when it all comes together. Your getting pretty good at building boxes. And five hours isnt bad. Its about right.

8. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

thanks ranger...means a lot coming from you...yeah that 5.5 hours is using one drill

so I had to predrill two holes at the ends...change to a phillips bit...screw it down to hold it in place...change back to the drill bit and predrill the rest of the holes...then change back to a phillips...unscrew the two screws...glue it...then screw it down. lol

I really need to invest in another drill

9. electrolytic

electrolytic Full Member

Nice...MTX makes kickass subs, it has a very nice home now.

10. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Yeah...next time he comes home i wanna try to turn the box around and fire it into the cabin...the damn thing i hate is that his 02 camry's trunk is so well insulated from the cabin...there is a lot of pressure in the trunk that i need to get into the cabin

11. pedro quiroga

a hole/vent in the rear deck should do the trick.

a friend of mine at work has been slowly,but surely getting a system in his car.all by himself.i just coached.

so just this week he said he finished,and loved it.2 bazooka 12's and some kenwood coaxials in the frt doors.pioneer cd deck,and 2 scoshe 2ch amps.

anyways...he removed the rear speakers cause they were dryrotted oem's and said his bass nearly doubled.

i've heard it.for a 300 watt rated setup it dont sound too bad.just needs to be tuned.for that i gave him some sq cd's i have.

blah blah blah..... open the rear deck some how,and boom more bass.(pun intended.lol)

12. jmenace_thakidd

jmenace_thakidd Full Member

yea a friend of mine cut like a slot port basically out of his rear deck and it should so much better not a bad idea if the seats dont let down

13. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yeah ima see what i can do to the rear deck...he wants to keep his 6x9s in there...all the speakers are factory but they sound damn good for factory...toyota camry's have always had decent factory speakers.

I'll see if I can open up some holes in the rear deck

OK well my camera phone is soo sh!tty that it can take videos but they have so sound...it doesn't have a mic

Sucks...i can load the video though...there'll be no sound though haha

Theres some flex but the camera sucks balls...major balls

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

ok i just realized i misinformed you all...the actual tuning is around 34Hz...my bad

The curve for 40Hz is too steep...also displacement limited power handling is around 600 watts rms

15. jmenace_thakidd

if i was to use the aero ports would it be possible to use 2 6" ports or is that too much for 1 15

16. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Mmm...that sounds good. I was originally going to use two 6 inch round port for my old 15 before it died.

two 6 inch round ports will work awesome

17. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Another drill might help, but most of the time I use only one (I have two). Here is what I do, I glue everything and use a staple gun and staples to hold it together. I then go around and predrill all the holes, and then put screws in.

Then I go around all the corners with a router and a 45-degree cutter.

Its now ready for covering. But really 5-hours is NOT bad, especially using the equipment you have.

18. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

yeah...it was a long 5 hours though.

My dad is gonna get a air compressor kit sometime though...air brads should really speed up the process...also i need to go to harbor freight and get some corner clamps...that would help a lot too lol.

well update...i have a new temporary setup...I'd take some pics but I cant find the camera.

I just threw in my old school JL 12W6 into the ABC box I built here...wired the coils in parallel for a 3 ohm load on my Nine.1. The amp puts out 450 watts at 4 ohms...so I'd guess around 600-650 capable watts...but I'm not risking frying this awesome old sub....so its set for around 400 watts.
    [​IMG]

Over the sound is tight and punchy...i like it. This sub does a lot better in it than the MTX. Net volume of the box is around 3.8 cu ft...yeah I know its kinda big for one 12 but the sub still never misses a beat. Did I mention that its LOUD.

I stopped by my old Tech School to get my dads step rail welded up...my friends there thought it was a 15 in the back. My roof flexes pretty good for one 12 and 400 watts...I set a half full bottle of water on it and it started to jump and fall over. I like this setup.

I'll get pics up and maybe a vid up if i can later....now i gotta go buy some books for school...call up the school about this weekend...then go back to work.

19. jmenace_thakidd

i like that box im gona have to order sme aero ports and build me another box

20. psycho_maniac

psycho_maniac Full Member

nice box azn. sorta looks like the box you designed for me haha. bet it sounds really good.