Need Help Troubleshooting.

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by FocalEnthusiast, Jun 2, 2004.

1. FocalEnthusiast

FocalEnthusiast Full Member

After returning my head unit several times, all problems seem to be worked out. that except for new problems that have arisen:

1.) While driving the amp (Viper 500.4) will shut down (lights dim on amp) and stop playing music, and then fade back in after a few seconds. The problem seems to be getting worse, and is especcially poor with A/C on, breaking, turning quickly, bumps, etc. this is the only amp I have in the car now. The head unit functions fine while the amp is off, the music uis still going, and everytihng, doesn't miss a beat. So I'm wondering if it is onl;y a coincidence that this problem started with the installation of my new headunit.

2.) I have a 20GB Kenwood Music Keg connected trhough the head unit. Occasionally the left speakers start to click, and then go off, while the right ones stay on. This only happens whie using the music Keg, not cds. It seems that the problem is in the connection between the head unit and the music keg. the plugs fit fine, but It seems that maybe the cble between the two has been overextended, or one of the wires is soldered poorly in the wire maybe? Anything else it could be? Where is my bext bet to get a replacement?

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Swing by, I can take a look at it.
    I'm going to be home for the next few weeks at any rate, when I'm not at the skatepark. B)

I'd initially think something physical with regard to the amp, if it's reacting to bumps...
    But possibly a voltage related issue as well, maybe a ground or connection somewhere that's compromised, in the power voltage path.

The music keg I'm with you... sounds like a loose connection, or a pulled wire.. and in that case, should also respond to bumps and turns?
    Of course, it could be random too.. might be a hairline crack in some solder connection or something. Who knows.

3. FocalEnthusiast

Sounds good. I'll probably stop by in a little while.....will you be home? I lost your number again, I think I might remember the cell.

peace

4. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

I'm putting in some hours at the skatepark tomorrow also (as I was today). ;)

5. thumperfbc

thumperfbc Full Member

I'm with Geo on the amp... Sounds like a physically loose connection since you mention bumps and turning... Otherwise it kinda sounds like voltage drop. Double check your power and remote connections at the amp (and remote at the head). Be sure to not only check for tightness, but corrosion as well. Durning a rainstorm this winter the seal on my hatchback failed and water dripped all over my beautiful Denon amp... I didnt notice until a couple days later when it kept shutting off. I went to investigate and found that a film had formed on all the terminals. A good cleaning and I was back in business.

6. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Good lord man! :huh:
    Holy holy :ph34r:

I think someone needs to come and confiscate that beautiful amp before any more harm may come to it!
    Let's see... I know I had your address around here somewhere... :p

7. thumperfbc

thumperfbc Full Member

I need to put the second one in too to run my new custom 8, but I refuse to put it in until i have a full plexi box around it to keep it cosmetically perfect.

Gorgeous amps.

8. FocalEnthusiast

Just to update, I replaced the battery posts, after trying evrything else, and that solved the problem. I just ordered a new wire to run from the Music Keg to the head unit. Costed $62 delivered....but hopeflly it'll fix it. Great place to deal with at East Coast Transistor, they've got everything.