Mcintosh Fetish?

Discussion in 'Home Audio Talk' started by sandt38, Jul 21, 2004.

1. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

You think you got one? Look at this guys amp rack!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:blink:

2. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Holy christ... :blink:

That's impressive and all.... but it begs the question: "Why?"

Is there some particular goal that guy was working toward?
    ...for example, a line-array, with active phase alignment requiring bazillions of channels?

Otherwise, the skeptic in me is still thinking "throwing more equipment at a problem usually isn't even a good band-aid". :rolleyes:

Impressive looking amp rack... Hey! Maybe that was the goal! :lol:

I'm still sticking to the theory that for things like this... guests in that room would probably be more impressed by bundles of money sitting around on the coffee table and on shelves, than they would by equipment or whatever that was purchased with those bundles of money.

Funny.. you never do see bundles of money lying around "rich" people's houses... hmm :p

3. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Not too sure why Chris. If you look at the room there are line arrays sitting to either side of the tree. There are also a set of mains I assume are used for HT duties. I am willing to bet there are 2 seperate systems, 1 for music and 1 for home theater, all set in the same rack. For many HT fanatics this is not uncommon... 2 totally seperate systems I mean.

Anyways, here is the rest of the room. I'll see if I can find any more pics of his home.

[​IMG]

4. Steven Kephart

Steven Kephart Full Member

Wow, that's crazy.

I think line arrays will probably be the next thing Dan will destroy as a possibility in the home. I was talking to him about it, and he says that if you are in the near field, then the frequency response is horrid. I saw the response graph for different axises for line arrays shown in Fundamentals of Acoustics, and it is horrible. As you move through the axis, the response peaks and dips in very large amounts. As was described to me, it is very similar to lobing with speakers. As you know, to minimize lobing you want to keep the speakers within the wavelength of the crossover frequency. Well in line arrays, you have the same speakers producing the same frequencies, and the top and bottom drivers are VERY far apart. The farther apart those drivers are, the farther you have to move back before you are out of the near field. This is why line arrays work great in pro sound (listeners are very far from the speakers) but in homes, you usually are too close to the speakers.

Anyway, sorry for the off topic rant. I just found it interesting, and figured you guys might enjoy what I learned.

Steven Kephart
    Adire Audio

5. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Am I the only one who is upset that he has all that money invested and then lets something as silly as a christmas tree screw up his sweet spot?

6. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

That tiny ass TV has me irked too :p

7. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

For that sized of a room hell yeah.

8. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

The line-array I did in my Nissan truck was very very near-field..
    ...but I took care to ensure that everything was phase-aligned - that's one advantage I had with the truck, a static seating location, I knew right where the listener's head was going to be, and literally used a rope and a pencil as a compass to locate speakers on a curve that resulted in them all being nearly exactly in-phase with each other.

Of course, the truck (like every other vehicle cabin) has enough acoustic oddities on it's own... but if you checked that project 'o mine out, that was actually something I was looking to improve on, via this project - by establishing more direct pathlengths, while inherently reducing the number of indirect pathlengths.
    In fact, that was the theory I was trying to play with... not "line array" per-se. ;)

And truthfully... the results were great.

I just redid my website, actually:
    http://www.betteraudio.com/geolemon/
    It's on there, under "projects" B)