ipod adaptor wiring questions

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by johnpd, Oct 6, 2006.

1. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

alright so i just got an ipod adaptor to go along with my head unit, and i have a quick question about wiring it. it has two wires: a power wire that has a fuse, and a ground wire. do you think it would be alright if i just soldered these wires onto the power and ground wires that go to my head unit?

thanks

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I would just make a new ground for it...not hard at all...just find a bare metal spot....sand it down and you can use a self drilling screw.

As for the power...I supposed....but I would just run like a 16 gauge power wire from the battery to the dash...fused by the battery of course.

3. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

i agree with Azn
    would be safer that way
    you COULD fuse them right to the hu wires
    but it will take away power from the hu which could lead to dimming at high volumes

4. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

thanks for the replys, i talked to some people and they said that the wiring harness for my car can only handle 15 amps, and my hu takes 10 amps and the adaptor takes 2 so it may not be good. they said i could wire to something in the fuse box that has constant power and can handle 2 amps. you guys think thats a good idea?

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I'd go ahead and run a separate fused power wire for it

6. johnpd

johnpd Full Member

i bought an adaptor type thing that goes in your little "fuse box" in your car, im replacing the fuse for the ciggarette lighter, you just plug it into the fuse spot for w.e(ciggarette lighter in my case) and it has a little wire coming out of it that you can crimp another wire too. i hope it works. thanks for the help everyone.