HOnk hoNK! My horn broke!

Discussion in 'Car Repair' started by 92civicproblems, Oct 15, 2008.

1. 92civicproblems

92civicproblems Full Member

The other thing wrong with my civic is the horn. The stock horn is soooooo rusty so what I'm goin to do is replace that first, then work my way from there. Do you guys think this is a good way to go about fixing this or do you think I should do something else.

NOTE: I'm not an idiot I checked the fuse first (all the fuses are good actually)

It makes a clicking sound in the steering column when I press the horn if that helps anything...

Thanks for all the help you guys are awesome!

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

the horn is shot. you're going to have to change it. I live in the philippines and filipinos use their horns A LOT and i've been through a few sets. lol

Just buy a new horn and that should take care of it. if you have a clicking noise then that just means that the relay is working but the horn is dead.

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

yup what CC said. a new horn cant cost a lot. good luck.

4. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

junk yard! or if you're a bad kid then you know what to do. ahem just kidding i dont condone those sorts of actions.

5. 92civicproblems

Wow Gen,

lol

Do you guys know if there is a horn replacement that has a different sound? Like I know you can buy them but I want one that wires to my existing horn.
    I was looking for a loud truck air horn sound.. I think that'd be pretty cool.
    Any cheap ideas on how I could do that without getting into the steering column?

6. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

well you could either use the existing ground of your horn on the new one so you can still use your steering wheel. or just run a whole new switch.

7. 92civicproblems

I've never looked at a horn so I don't know how it works. What kind of wires are coming out from the actually horn? I think you said a ground, is that it?

8. 92civicproblems

For some reason I think a horn is just like a speaker; it has a negative and a positive... how does it really work and will almost any horn work if I wire it in place of the stock one?

9. 92civicproblems

Can someone explain the wiring for a horn to me please :)

10. tyrant1014

tyrant1014 Full Member

well simply put your horn has a bunch of different resistors and whatnot and is usually three built in to one all at different ranges of the sound spectrum, which makes horns sound "sick" when they are busted.

This is from wise geek, but I couldn't have explained it as well.

To produce a sound when the horn is pressed, an electromagnet is used to cause a steel diaphragm to move. As the current is applied to the electromagnet (you pressing down your horn button), the diaphragm moves toward the magnet. When the diaphragm is moved to its maximum point toward the magnet, a connection is released, temporarily disconnecting the current and allowing the steel to relax. Once this happens, the electromagnet applies current, again moving the diaphragm toward the magnet. This cycle repeats evenly and causes the diaphragm to oscillate back and forth producing the sound of the car horn

For something like a wolf whistle, train horn, or truck air horn, is an entirely different ball game. They operate on air, what you would do is buy an air compressor and hook it up to your battery then you would hook up your compressor to a tank, then connect your tank to the horn. But you would have a valve controlled via solenoid in between the tank and the horn. When you activated the solenoid, usually a toggle switch or button, it allows air from your tank to enter into the horn thus producing whatever it is you were after.

It's a little bit more complex but I think it would be more cost effective just to get a new car horn, if you were able to get a truck or train horn. You would then have to get a compressor at well over 200.00 and then a tank at 60-100 bucks a pop.

11. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

the other day i installed a truck horn and compressor in my friends ranger. its loud! haha it'll scare anyone within 100' of the truck

12. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

i'm not a big fan of the whole train horn phase. to me at a show when someone blasts one it just annoys the hell out me.

especially when they are in the lanes and they blast it right in front of all of us. it hurts too at that distance. 10 ft or closer since sometimes im putting the meters in.

so if you want to get one go ahead but get regular horn too so you can mess around with the BIG horn in places where you cant get in trouble.

13. 92civicproblems

I found this low tone "big rig" horn from Highway Blaster at Autozone. This seems like it would do the job. I don't need something extremely loud I just need something you can hear. I think it should do the trick. The only thing is I don't know how to wire it. It seems like it only has one wire? Also I can't get the front bumber off my civic!!!!!!

14. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

the one wire is probably positive since the compressor would be grounded to the car.

15. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2008
  16. 92civicproblems

I'll listen to what it sound like when I get home. Idk how much the Bosch horn is. First, I'm looking for a cheap one. The one I found was cheap, about $20. Second, I want the "big rig" sound, a nice deep semi truck air horn sound. Again it doesn't have to be loud it just can't sound fake lol. Let me kno...

17. 92civicproblems

Your horn is to high pitched for me cccullen. I'm looking for that deeper "big rig" sound, you know what I mean?

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

i realized that, forgot you wanted a rig horn.......

19. 92civicproblems

lol np, but yea.. I'll come back to this problem once I get the black death fixed :(