Brahma

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by ryno4, Mar 21, 2003.

1. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

I dunno, but, I just installed my subwoofer from getting it back from Adire.... It doesn't give the bang that I was expecting...

I spent close to $1K on it, and this kid turned on his 12" Cadence Beast powerd by a cheesy Pioneer 760 Amp, and I could feel the difference in my chest... Whats wrong with this picture? Could i be my JBL BP1200???

Wanting to get rid of my system for dirtbike season, but I am still dwelling why my system sounds like poo..

anyone have a similar story?

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Wait, you hit mid 140s sealed with 1 12, and you are not happy? :huh:

Listen, the Cadence woofers get loud... louder than one would expect. Also, thanks to distortion they sound louder. If you metered against him you would read louder. Also, I bet he's ported ;)

3. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

eh 140.4db.. but it doesn't seem loud or get that feeling in your chest..

4. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

some cars just dont "sound" loud

that have very poor transfer fuctions,

and are just plain poor "sounding" cars

I bet you have a differant make and model than him

so you can never expect to sound the same

you can take his system out of his car, place it in yours and it will sound differant

5. Honest Bob

Honest Bob Full Member

I was in someone's Integra that had two cadence subs and that 600W MTX amp. It sounded louder than my car. The next day we were both at a car audio competition. Someone told her an Kicker L5 15 would be louder on the same amp :rolleyes: So she put one in. It sounded loud, but when the time came to be measured my 15"s in the Sunbird killed it. Inside and out it sounded louder than mine but turned out it wasnt :)

6. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Yeah, the pioneer subs might go lower than the Brahma b/c of the box size. The sub i just installed (10w7) hits you in the chest alot harder than the 12" IDQ's i had before solely because it has the ability to go lower.

7. NaStYsTaNg05

NaStYsTaNg05 Full Member

o ya the car makes a huge diference. ive got a 15inch brahma in my towncar right now. i had it ported at 32hz with a cadence Z7000 like sandi's car. but in short it was to hard on my alt so i just sold it after using it for 2 weeks.LOL going to downgrade to around 1200watts. the brahma sounds OK sealed but it realy screams ported! im in the process of building a new custom encloser for mine right now, and im almost done. just have to cut the subwoofer opening and make the swapable ports and throw it in.
    and well my towncar is not a SPL car at all!!!!!! i dont think any big cars with trunks are. SUVs are the best i think. i had 4 12inch audiobahn high excursions in my towncar then threw 2 in a 96blazer and it was about 5times as much bass. so much gave me headaches. and thats with 2 crapy audiobahn subs and a crapy powr acouikst 770watt rms amp pushing them. i would love to hear my new brahma in a SUV.LOL seeing how 1 brahma beat all my old setups including the 4 12s. but the 12s where sealed. and the brahma ported.
    if your brahma isnt ported. ITS EXPERIMENTAL TIME FOR YOU>>>>>>>>>. have fun. just remember the box makes or breaks any sub! heck ive seen a pair of 6.5 audiobahns sound like 2 12s in a realy nicely well planed boxes. those prefabricated boxes never let you hear your subs full potential

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Hehehehe, wait till I get my El Camino with a Tumult in 14 feet tuned to 30Hz, eh, about 120 Sq inches of port. With that little air to compress, I will change that tune :p .

Figuring about 150ish at 30-35 Hz :lol: . That loud that low should make people shit their pants... litteraly :lol: .

9. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

Well in short I want to get rid of it, because I need $. But maybe if you could hook me up with dimensions of a box - ported, I would fool expeiriment with it before I sell it. How bout it Seth?? :D

10. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Hehehehe, wait till I get my El Camino with a Tumult in 14 feet tuned to 30Hz, eh, about 120 Sq inches of port. With that little air to compress, I will change that tune :p .

Figuring about 150ish at 30-35 Hz :lol: . That loud that low should make people shit their pants... litteraly :lol: .[/b][/quote]
    That's the same thing as an SUV in that it'll be in an open cabin.

11. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It is listed as a pickup... Only alot smaller...

Ryan,

I put mine in 1.9 feet tuned to 24Hz. I highly suggest it for SQ and SPL. Ask BlkX... he heard it, and I'm sure he will agree, it is impressive.

[​IMG]

12. squatchie

squatchie Full Member

I believe the resonent frequency of a spinctor is 10 Hz, and the clitoris on an average 120lb woman is 28Hz. Could be wrong....

An SUV just adds about 12db over a car, about 6db over a hatchback. Although, you'd be sursprised what you can do when you remove the factory back seat panel and fabricate your own. It made a bid difference in my loely GrandAm.

:ph34r:

13. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

Ryan,

I put mine in 1.9 feet tuned to 24Hz. I highly suggest it for SQ and SPL. Ask BlkX... he heard it, and I'm sure he will agree, it is impressive.

[​IMG][/b][/quote]
    I have no idea how to calculate that into length x width dimensions, are you crazy! :huh:
    heh
    Whats tuned to 24Hz the box or the amp?

Um can you help me out a little more to understanding the dimensions to make it and what not...

14. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

Ryan,

[​IMG][/b][/quote]
    The open cabin factor is all i'm talking about.

And yea, the sub is very loud, but quite honestly i don't care for any ported boxes that i've ever heard. I've heard more than just the Brahma, so its not this sub alone that my opinion is based on. It did sound good in a sealed box, but I would have liked to have heard it when he (Seth) had the Kodas in.

15. BlkX

BlkX Full Member

I have no idea how to calculate that into length x width dimensions, are you crazy! :huh:
    heh
    Whats tuned to 24Hz the box or the amp?

Um can you help me out a little more to understanding the dimensions to make it and what not...[/b][/quote]
    His box is tuned to 24hz ryno.

16. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

Thanks Blkx.

So Seth how bout them diemensions?? eh eh :rolleyes:

17. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

1.9 feet tuned to 23.5Hz...

that port is 2.25 wide X 8 in High, by 42.5inches long...

http://www.sounddomain.com/id/sgrannat

that is a tutorial I made when I built the enclosure to give you some ideas.

18. ryno4

ryno4 Full Member

I'm not understanding here..

I don't know how to get LxWxH dimensions out of 1.9 feet.

ok so the slot port is: 2.25wide <-----> X 8high^... by 42.5in depth... the box can't be that deep... :unsure:

19. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

It is a wrap around... Look at my enclosure tutorial I linked above for pics of the enclosure durring it's construction.

Make it (internal dimensions) 24"X13"X12" (length X hieght X depth)... I am Giving it a bit more for bracing and displacement of the driver. Wrap the port around the outside like I did in the tutorial and that will put it right at 41-42 inches long (you measure the port through the center of the bends).

20. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

[​IMG]

There is a rough idea of what it will look like. My camera's batteries took a shit on me while I was building it, but you can see the overall design concept.