BIG 3 DONE, Lights still dim, and amp cuts off at 13volts?

Discussion in 'Automotive Electrical' started by thizzkid, Mar 15, 2010.

1. thizzkid

thizzkid Member

ok so i done some trouble shooting to figure out why im still getting voltage drops, light dimming, and why my subs turn off when i play heavy bass songs, and this is what i came across

so today i measured for bad grounds, first i measured the battery with the car off, 12.6volts.

secound i measured from the neg side of batt post to chassis ground, got 0.01 as a reading on the DMM, so that means mininum resistance which is good right?

i turned my car on, turned on the wiper blades front and rear, turned high beams and headlights on, and put my heater on MAX

i put my HU to about 26/35 and measured the battery and it never went less than 13volts

so with everything still on, i measured the power cable and ground cable AT THE AMP, same reading 13-14 volts

this is the part where im confused, so with all that being done, my lights still dim, and when the heavy bass drops when im driving and listening to music, my amp seems like it cut offs, but the green light always stays on, so really its just my subs that cut off for like 1-3 seconds

so is it a bad ground at the amp? i have 17 feet of power cable and im running 1200 watts, do i need to upgrade my power wire to 2 gauge? Should i be worried that this will ruin my amp?

any other places i should meaure with my DMM?

heres a little background info

-harbor freight tool DMM, CEN-TECH model for $3
    -1995 ford explorer
    -130-140 amp alternator
    -BIG 3, 4 gauge everywhere
    -4 gauge amp kit from ebay
    -Hifonics BXI1210D 1200 watts at 1 ohm, setted gains with DMM also and measured for 34.0 volts instead of 34.46 volts.
    -2 12" pioneer subs 400 wrms per sub
    -kenwood mpc 205 HU, 2 volt pre-outs

thanks guys for all feed back

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

try upgrading the wire. i have nothing but great things to say about knukonceptz. im almost sure that the 4 gauge kit you have from ebay is closer to 8 than a true 4 gauge. also, did you sand the metal for the ground to bare metal??
    do you plan on adding more in the future??
    if you do all of this and still have crazy dimming, i would suggest a small xs power battery in the back by the amp.

3. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I have a 130 amp alt in my Sable and have a bigger Hifonics amp than you. But I have 1 guage wire to the back then 4 from the distribution to the amps, my lights barely dim when cranked. I agree with kvo to upgrade the wires.

4. thizzkid

thizzkid Member

well when i did my big 3 my wires were really thick 4 gauge, didnt buy from ebay, but my amp kit i bought from ebay, so im wondering if 2 gauge power be enough, i just need enough for the amp wire, not planning to use 2 gauge on big 3, should i be alright?

5. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

you should be good with that

6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

whats the final impedance of your subs to the amp?

7. thizzkid

thizzkid Member

2 12" pioneer w308D4 at 1 ohm final impedance

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

you have to take everything one step at a time to rule things out. I'd go with AT LEAST 2 ga. wires... Honestly, i'd go with 0 ga. just so if you plan to do any upgrades in the future you won't have to mess with the wires anymore.

9. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

dont skimp on the wires...go knukonceptz and you wont be disappointed! trust me!

and hey cc! long time no see!

10. thizzkid

thizzkid Member

i hear alot of people telling me to get a cap, will that also help fix my problem, even with 2 gauge wiring for the amp?

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Yeah, i've been in hiding. hahaha

was working on getting rid of my ride, got that done... Now i need some cash to start a new set up. sold most of my stuff so looks like i'm starting from scratch again. I'm just gonna put it off for a while. I'm still sinking money into the car that i bought.

12. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

caps are crap. but seriously, they can help sometimes but i really wouldn't get one.

for me, although 2ga wires are good for your application i would just do what Kvo said and get those wires but i would get the 1/0ga wires instead to be sure

13. thizzkid

thizzkid Member

so can i get a capacitor to fix this problem aswell? i hear they arent good to use, but i also hear if i barely get light dimming isssues i should be ok, my system voltage drops only occur 3 times typically at full tilt when i play a 4 min song, those 3 times is the hook of the song, where the bass just drop excessively and thats why my dash voltmeter drops a quarter down to low when it happens

so would it cause more harm than good to my amp, and fry it?

14. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

do you have another batt in the back?

15. thizzkid

thizzkid Member

i dont have one in the back, just 1 up front

16. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

put the biggest deep cycle your pockets will allow back there, in case you want to upgrade...if not, then just throw something like the xs power d680 in the back. its very small and efficient, not too much more than a cap and will work wonders for your system.

17. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

x2.. an extra bat is a lot better than a crap... uh, cap. lol

do the wire upgrade first then see if it still dims on ya. if it does then add a battery like Kvo said

18. thizzkid

thizzkid Member

well right now i only have about 50 bucks at the moment, so should i get a cap with more than 2 farads, or whats the whole deal? more farads = more better? please let me know thanks guys

19. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

save your money. get some real 1/0 wire...then get back to us when you get that in. NO CAP :)