Anyone installed 6.5" comp in a 2006 F150? If so which ones fit with only adapter?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by hollywood_cook, Aug 21, 2006.

1. hollywood_cook

hollywood_cook New Member

Looking at adding 6.5" components in my 2006 F-150 Super Crew. I called the installer and asked if they could adapt the 5x7 opening. They said yes as long as the speaker wasn't too big. (I'm assuming mounting depth). Can't find max mounting depth on 5x7 opening and alot of speaker websites don't list mounting depth on their speakers. (Looking at focals, JL Audio, rainbow, dynaudio, dynamic audio, CDT.

Was curious if anyone has added the 6.5" speakers and if so which ones fit nicely with only the adapter plates. I'm looking at the Focal 165K2P for fronts which coax for rear fill. These will be powered by a JL Audio 450/4.

Thanks.

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Well how about you take your front door apart and measure how deep it is then make your component set selection from there

3. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

some websites have a cross reference guide to let you know if it will fit..

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Are you sure you have to take the door panel off on that truck?
    I don't think you do.

Hollywood_Cook, do you have a really large speaker grill on the door panel?
    If so the Speaker Grill just snaps off. Use a simple hook tool and gently pull it off. The speakers will be held in by some really odd sized hex screws. I think it was 5.5mm (I won't bet on the size, just that its not a common size)

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

On my explorer the front speaks are 5.5 hex screws....why?? no idea...simple phillips would do