77 camaro kickpanels

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by Jake_camaro, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Jake_camaro

Jake_camaro Full Member

Hi everyone, new here. Im building a set of kick panels to mount two 6.5 speakers. My plan is to use the original plastic kick panel and ive made my speaker mount out of wood. Now i would like to bond this wood panel to the plastic one and also fill some gaps with some type of filler, then I will paint the whole thing.

What would be best to use to bond these and what would i as a filler? Thanks, Jake

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

are you building pods or literally mounting a board to the plastic and cutting out a hole for the speakers?

3. Jake_camaro

Jake_camaro Full Member

Basically just mounting a board to the pane, i made the bottom speaker mount at an angle so i plan on using filler to round out the edge. So was wondering what to use to attach the two panels together and then fill the 1/4 inch gap there is after?

4. pedro quiroga

i had sort of the same idea with my door panels. my 96 jimmy has an open space above the stock door location. so i cut a hole and added another 6.5 for more midrange volume since the stock speaker is so low in the door. i would like to finish it like in the pic to make it look nice.

[​IMG]

^^^my idea is simple like in this picture. ^^^ not my install BTW.

anyways, a sheet of 1/2 or 3/4 mdf or ply (anything cheap as i need only a little) wrapped in vinyl and screwed on from the rear. if i wear to adhere it with anything i guess i would use liquid nails. but i think a whole tube is too much and you would have so much left over...who knows maybe it would fill the gap you have as well if it sets up hard enough.

if these are exactly how you want them then glue them(liquid nails) and for the gap use body filler. sand, smooth, then paint or vinyl wrap them.

5. Jake_camaro

Jake_camaro Full Member

Will body filler stick to the plastic alright?

6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

You might want to look at this thread. The wood is covered with fleece and the fleece is soaked with fiberglass. A little bit of body work and sanding and paint, we have a kickpanel. Chevy Kick Panel. The best fillers are Evercoat Z Grip and Evercoat Rage Gold. These fillers are used by most professsional installers for good reason, they work.

If you want to go a different route, build it the same way and then just cover it. Here are some door pods I did 10 to 12-years ago

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Jake_camaro

Jake_camaro Full Member

Thanks for all the great info, ill post up some pics once get close to completion.

8. pedro quiroga

thats a lot of speakers.

what are you using for power?

9. Jake_camaro

Jake_camaro Full Member

3 Alpine PDX 100 rms x 4 and one Pdx M12 for the two 10" R types. I got the 6 package tray speakers hooked up and goin and the bass is unreal!! Very impressed!

10. pedro quiroga

thats great. i ended up doing my doors as well, they came out ok. then the next day my passenger side ball joint exploded. ive been without my truck since last sunday. :(

11. Jake_camaro

Jake_camaro Full Member

Post some pics of yours doors if you dont mind, too bad about the ball joint

12. pedro quiroga

been a while. been busy with the truck and other things. let me dig up a photo.

13. pedro quiroga

[​IMG]

nothing fancy. the vinyl on one corner is already coming loose. i didn't leave enough wrapped around the piece when i was trimming.