2015 F150 Crew Cab Lariat -- Help requested to improve a Lease Vehicle

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by iJeffG, Sep 29, 2015.

1. iJeffG

iJeffG New Member

Greetings, I have a slightly different spin on the "help me design my system" question, and hoping to appeal to the realist in you SQ gurus.

I just picked up a 2015 F150 Lariat, with the 7 speaker "non-Sony" audio system. I have Sync and Navigation if that matters for knowing the HU capabilities. The audio system absolutely sucks in this thing. The Sony system required a >$6000 upgrade package which I could never justify. Glad I didn't because I am hearing horror stories about that audio system as well. One unique element of my question is that I am LEASING the vehicle, so need to minimize harness mods.

I've spent several days going through F150 and audio forums, and worried I may be getting hung up on the hyperbole. I need to improve the system (bass is loose and lacks depth, mids are muddy, highs are muted and dull)

I am looking to spend as little as possible to get a "decent" sounding system. I enjoy B&W's sound signature at home. I prefer quality over quantity...Tight bass over boomy and loud. I listen to classical, some jazz, acoustic-only recordings of guitar and piano, and thee typical 70's/80's rock.

I will only be upgrading the front soundstage (and if necessary adding a subwoofer)...and need to use the stock speaker locations. 6x9's in doors, and 3/4 or 1" tweeters in the a-pillars. My system also came with a 3 1/2 center speaker, which I am willing to update as well.

I'm looking for good tight "mid bass" (don't need below 50Hz kind of stuff). Crystal clear, but non-fatiguing tweeters, and a nice full mid-range that does female vocals justice.

Since it is a lease, I would like to stay below $500 for everything...I consider myself pretty handy, and wouldn't mind tackling the install myself to save cash.

I'm enjoying the research, but as I said, I'm worried I'm ending up comparing Tesla to a Maybach...instead of a Prius to a Fusion PHEV. Looking for YOUR help to hold back on the enthusiasm for perfection. I want the 80% great solution...

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions.