15'' or 18''

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by bhawk93, Nov 15, 2009.

1. bhawk93

bhawk93 Full Member

Im trying to decide whether to get a 15'' audioque or an 18'' audioque sub. Which would slam the hardest and loudest. Please help.

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

if you have sufficient room for an 18" then it will be louder cause of the cone area being greater. It really depends on the room you have though.

3. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

what jonny said. if you have the room go for the 18 for sure, but the 15 can get loud too.

it boils down to your budget i guess.

4. bhawk93

bhawk93 Full Member

well i can afford either one but i drive a 98 malibu so wat do u think would be the best

5. pedro quiroga

there is no best. what do you want it for? competing or everyday pounding?

what can you fit in there? do you, or are you willing to give up your trunk for either sub?

6. jonnyv713

take in account that, in a trunk car, you need airflow in there! You can maybe fit an 11 cube box in there and you could barely hear it. You need space for the waves and air to flow. Personally, in a trunk I would prolly suggest a 15 over an 18. just my opinion though. You should give us some dimensions on the space that you are willing to sacrifice.

7. AudioAdvantage

AudioAdvantage Full Member

the smaller you go, the more hit you will get.

the bigger you go the deeper bass you will get

I would go with 15's personally, given the choices at least.

8. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

what are your max dimensions in the 98 malibu?? they dont seem like big cars in the first place.

this is a myth, its all in box design.

9. pedro quiroga

he may be talking about a sealed box KVO. if you go a little larger on a sealed box's recommendation it will play lower, but i think power handling suffers.

10. bhawk93

bhawk93 Full Member

see i really dont know the dimensions and i dont know how to get them beause my trunk is really weird because it isnt that wide towards the back but is really wide in the front. and as long as the sub will slam then i am willing to take up as much room as possible.

11. jonnyv713

your seats fold down right?

12. bhawk93

bhawk93 Full Member

no they dont, but which would slam better one aq 15 or 2 aq 12's

13. jonnyv713

prolly the 2 12's i think the cone area is greater. get some AQ HDC3's and run em on a big amp. they will slam! make sure ure electrical will hold up though!

14. bhawk93

bhawk93 Full Member

ok becuse i have a really powerful amp

15. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I've heard a lot of 15's and I like the bass better from a 15" compared to 12's... that's the reason why i bought my 15's..

now comparing 18's to 15's, i would prolly still stay with 15's cuz musically i don't think 18's are all that great but if your going for heart stopping pounding bass then 18's will do you good.

16. jonnyv713

i havent heard a 15 that i like yet. granted i didnt like the installs either. i bet they do pound in the right setup

17. Kvo_8

Kvo_8 Full Member

i went from 12s, to the 13w7, to 12s, and now i have this 15. all of them hit the notes about the same, no real difference between all of them. the only thing is the 15 gets really loud and kills the deep bass (maybe because the box is tuned to 32hz?? lol)

18. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Kvo, i did notice that too. the 15's dig deeper... at least with the installs i've heard..

19. jonnyv713

well my box is tuned to 31Hz and it dont dig deep enough for me so idk... Maybe i need 15's. im gonna try to get tuned to 28Hz. but anyways.... Since what they said, I would go 15's.

20. bhawk93

bhawk93 Full Member

wat do u mean your box is tuned at 31 hz