56 Chevy Kick Panel

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Ranger SVO, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

OK, we started on the 56 Chevy Kick panel today. This will be totally home built and fabricated. We will be using an MB Quart 5-1/4-inch midbass speaker and a Motorola Piezo Tweeter.

The crossover is also a homemade piece. Many of you have already seen these crossovers

[​IMG]

So here goes

The first thing is the mounting rings for the 5-1/4-inch speakers. I prefer to cut holes and router while the MDF is one larger piece. Its easier to handle. I can cut it up later.

[​IMG]

Next, we cut masonite to fit in place of the factory panels, the speaker mounting rings will be attached later

[​IMG]

Next We needed to cut out the rings and glue them together.

[​IMG]

The next part of the project will be to attach the mounting rings to the masonite panels. We will work on that Friday.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. Promodmerc

Promodmerc Full Member

Picks no worky :eek:

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

pics seem to work fine for me. Read the other thread about your x-overs. Tried to post but internet failed... anyway. interesting choice on tweets. Nothing like listening to a chunk of rock resonate into a horn! LOL! Actually this type of tweeter has been around forever, tough, versatile and loud. Of course you know the drawbacks... It will be interesting to hear your report on the sound of this resonating rock in a horn...I am very curious as to what your x-over will do for it. I saw your schematic and think it might just work! btw....i like the etching of your PCB...

4. Promodmerc

Promodmerc Full Member

They're working for me now.

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The speaker mounting rings are attached to the KickPanel back. The wood speaker mounts are actually glued (Elmers Wood Glue) to the back panel. One brace has been added to the round rings (not in the pictures)

We called it a day, 105-degree heat wave. We quit working on the sound system around 2 PM.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fiberglass is next, we will probably start on it tomorrow.

Now there is a lot more to this speaker system and it is a speaker system. A single 8-inch center speaker will be an integral and fundamental part of this system.

More to come

6. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

tuned in for this... 105º ouch. had a friend post a 107º here today..

thank goodness i work inside, AND i fixed an A/C leak in my truck.

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

OK we got some glass on it today.

[​IMG]

and it looks really good in the car

[​IMG]

More to come

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

OK, I'm a little bummed out. I have to teach summer school this week so I missed out on the Speaker Kick Panels getting the first primer coat.

But my friend did E-mail me this picture

[​IMG]

Hopefully we will get them in the car this week end. There is still more to go, we still need to build the Center Channel Enclosure that goes with speaker pods (Kick Panels).

I need to say this, the purpose of this thread is to show everyone what can be done when you set your mind to just DO IT.
    (and I'm showing off a little bit)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

And this is the look

[​IMG]

soon they will be in the car

11. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Very nice...I would LOVE to hear those tweets! Heck, what do they run? about 5 bucks a peice from the right sourse?

12. Promodmerc

Promodmerc Full Member

Is he going to redo the interior when you are done with the system install? Those poor door panels have seen better days.

13. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

There are still a couple of things that need to be done, but here is where we're at right now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

We got everything wired up and running. Not bad, it really did sound good. But there was alot of room for improvement. The 6 x 9's in the rear deck was a problem, no bass. To me, this means that they were not mounted correctly.

They were not mounted right, they were not screwed in to the metal on the deck.

So first thing we added Dynomat to the rear deck, because the rear deck in the 56 is really thin metal.

[​IMG]
    (notice my pick up in the back ground)

and then we installed a baffle.

[​IMG]

The sound difference was huge.

Now for the Piezos, I have them attenuated a little to much, we had to turn the treble on the HU from 0 to +1. I think I'm gonna change the 1.0uf capacitor in the crossover to something around 10uf to 50uf. Because I don't know the exact capacitance value of the Piezo, I have to guess at the correct value.

As soon as everything sounds great we will start on the sub

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011