Horn Load Box For The Yaris

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by Ranger SVO, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I'm gonna try something different, a horn load. Never tried one before so I'm really curious. Earthquake says it will work, we'll see.

This box is small, its 15-inches long, 12-1/4-inches wide and 5-1/4-tall. And yes a woofer will fit in this box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still not sure how I'll finish it, still need to order the woofer Earthquake SWS-10

2. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

Very different Ranger! I like it. Is that a way to make it more effiecient without a huge box? I'm suddenly very interested now.

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Typically Horn Loads are a little bit larger, but according to Earthquake this box will work. And yes they are supposed to be efficient.

I still need to do more research but it looks promising

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

What type of speaker fits in there? Is this anything like Klipsch used to make back in the day?

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The woofer will be an Earthquake SWS-10

[​IMG]

6. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I will order the woofer on Monday. I still have a lot of work to do on the box. I've decided to paint it with a VHT Wrinkle Coat. I think it will look pretty good.

Still need to router the speaker hole, I want the woofer to be flush mounted.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The woofer came in today and I decided I have a little bit more work to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm gonna router the woofer mounting area so that the woofer mounts flush. I really don't like this "woofer laying on top of the box" look. I'm still a few days out.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The horn load box did not perform as expected. It really sucked. So my plans changed

I decided not to wait until next week. So I went to the shop around 1:30 and by 4:00, I had a box. I still have a lot of work to do but it sounds much better than the Horn load Box. Its internal volume is 0.45 cu ft and the woofer really likes this size. This box willl be a downfire box

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

I am a definate believer in lots of glue and screws.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I still have a lot of work to do, I could not find the rounded corner router blade for example. But we did check the box in a Toyota Sienna (owned by one of the shops emplyees) and it did pretty well. Her PowerBass Woofer actually hit a little better.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

does having the 3 sides sealed to the floor affect the sound of the enclosure at all?

i've seen down firing boxes with little feet where the sub can fire 360ยบ. then one like yours where it only has one little opening. does that act like a port?

just curious.

10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I have found that having one opening seems to work best. Low frequency waves are very long so by directing which way the wave goes, we can make much lower bass. In my case I will face the opening toward the back hatch.

By having it open in more than one place, low bass is usually reduced. The bass waves (usually 100-inches long and longer) are going all over the place.

Think of it like this, which way do we face our woofers in a car? Most of the time we face it toward the back of the car