can i put a crossover for midbass ?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by deadz67, Oct 7, 2009.

1. deadz67

deadz67 Full Member

i know i`m being fussy, but i am still not happy with my blending on my system.Can i put a crossover to create midbass on my MTX TDX6802 coaxials or should i just invest in some 8" subs with deck power pushing them.
    it just seems i have treble in the front & deep bass in the rearwith a distinct separation between them.
    What & how would i incorporate the crossover(s)?

2. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

you can set the crossover lower so they will play more mid bass. mine are set to 80HZ and the mid bass is ok.

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

No, your NOT being fussy. We want our Bass to sound like its coming from up front. So we need it to blend better with the front speakers.

First make sure the front speakers are mounted solid. The more solid the better. If the speaker is mounted to some plastic adapter, can you make one from MDF. If its mounted directly to the door, can you make a 1/2-inch MDF spacer to make the mount more solid. Also Dynomat is our friend. If you have a high-pass filter turned on, turn it off. If you must use a high-pass filter, use a 199-micro-farad capacitor as a crossover (it must be a non polar).

Now set your sub crossover to 100Hz or lower. 80Hz would be a better choice.

But the most important thing is the front speakers, when you fix the sound there your problem will improve.

4. deadz67

deadz67 Full Member

ok but i thought bass was supposed to sound like it came from the rear. Also, I do have those damn plastic adapters so i guess i will make some from MDF, but should i Dynamat the whole door or just the spot behind the speaker , or should i make an enclosure out of it behind the speaker. i was actually thinking of using some pvc pipe with a cap & some speaker fill .

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

deadening the whole door would be ideal. inner, outer and door skin is very ideal. that means closing any huge openings a door has.

that would make the door an enclosure. my midbass went from eh' to oh when i did my doors.