Ford Explorer wire problem!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by chrisbean, Sep 7, 2009.

1. chrisbean

chrisbean Full Member

My buddy just bought a 1997 ford explorer without a radio and wanted me to put one in. No prob I thought! the prevoius owner had ripped all the wires out -no plugs! I figured out the power and such but the speakers/????? It has the factory CD changer in the center console and rear passenger radio controls too. Does ANYONE know what wires go where? The wire diagram here is probly for a stock radio since NONE of the wires match what he has. And I don'tthink pulling the doors will help any if at all![​IMG]

2. c0rrupted0ne

c0rrupted0ne Full Member

buy a wiring harness for ur car model, walmart has them for 8 each

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

1997 Ford Explorer Stereo Wiring
    Constant 12V+ Green/Purple
    Switched 12V+ Yellow/Black
    Ground Black/Light Green
    Illumination Light Blue/Red
    Dimmer n/a
    Antenna Trigger Orange/Blue
    Antenna Right Front
    Front Speakers 5" x 7" Doors
    Left Front (+) Orange/Light Green
    Left Front (-) Light Blue/White
    Right Front (+) White/Light Green
    Right Front (-) Dark Green/Orange
    Rear Speakers 5" x 7" Rear Doors
    Left Rear (+) Gray/Light Blue
    Left Rear (-) Tan/Yellow
    Right Rear (+) Orange/Red
    Right Rear (-) Brown/Pink

Hope that helps!

4. chrisbean

chrisbean Full Member

We tried that wal mart idea but none of the wires match! ANd only one of the two plusgs fit. They had two other plugs but they are special order and I guess we can order both - and take one back IF one of them is the right one.
    cccullen, I found those but none of them match!

5. Z400

Z400 Full Member

Then you obviously need to go deeper to the starting place for all of those wires.

its not that hard to figure out.

6. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

Or you can just rewire all of your speakers...

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

If they dont match, there might be a factory amp. If there is an amp it should be located in the right rear Quarter panel. Its too hard to get to, but in many cases the speaker wires (the right colors) can be found coming out from under the panel, just behind the rear seat.

In most cases its easier to run you own speaker wires to each individual speaker.

8. chrisbean

chrisbean Full Member

IF it has a Factory amp could I use the remote wire from the stereo to turn it on? I would do the "new wire" idea but he don't want to get into it that much ( hell were this far already!) ANd he swears up and down that all those loose wire are causing his lExplorer to run "funny". OF r all the hasstle we've (I) have went through he could have went and got a radio from the local salvage yard! They had the stereo -CD carrier-plugs for $68.00! BUT NOOOOOooooo , It's cheaper this way....yeah he want me to use all my stuff..and the radio I gave him!

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  10. chrisbean

chrisbean Full Member

cccullen..Your Are Tha MAN! I think that I search the net pretty good before I ask any question. Usually about 2 days (48 hrs) worth of searching before I ask ANY questions but where in the world did you find those two links!?!Thats exactly what I was looking for!! I can't thank you enough!!!

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

I also go on the ford forums and I knew i could find something there. Hope all the info helps. Let me know if you get the system up and running. glad to help!