Building A Box

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by Ranger SVO, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Hey everyone, this thread is about building boxes. Lets keep everything here at the beginner level. We wanna keep it simple to help the many people who are new to this and want to learn.

We have had a lot of questions about building boxes. Azn did a remarkable job with his thread about using Sketch Up. Now lets build a box similar to what Azn has done.

If you don't have access to alot of tools, let a local lumber yard cut the pieces for you. Lowes, Home Depot and other local stores will cut your wood for you at a minimal cost. (Make sure you provide the RIGHT measurements)

I cut out all the pieces except the baffle board. The Baffle Board doesn't get cut until everything is put together. I find that this method works well for most boxes.

First, I draw (hard to see it in the picture) where everything goes on the bottom board. The back and one side are then attached to the bottom. Use plenty of glue and screws and remember to predrill all holes. MDF cracks easily.

[​IMG]

We don't wanna work inside a box, so we will add the port now. The two port pieces are put together outside of the box and then placed on the bottom board and attached.

[​IMG]

I'm sure everyone has seen the Staple Gun. I only use staples to temporarily hold pieces together. Then the pieces are predrilled and screwed together. Many of you don't have access to a staple gun. Have a friend hold the pieces together while you predrill all the holes. After everything is predrilled, glue it and screw it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Before we put on another side, lets look at why we do the port this way. We do it this way to simplify construction. By using the box bottom, top and side as part of the port, we have less work to do. Thats why most ports that I do will be 1-1/2-inches less than the total height of the box.

Now we are ready to put on a side. Again we predrill all holes and we use plenty of glue.

[​IMG]

Now for the top. We just lay the top in place. We mark where all the interior pieces. Then we remove the top and predrill the top board. I find its easier this way. We then put the top board on permanently. Plenty of glue and screws

[​IMG]

3. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Finally the baffle board. The hole for the speaker is cut prior to the baffle being attached to the box. Also the port hole is cut out. WE DON"T need to be exact. Cut the port hole small for now, we'll fix it later.

[​IMG]

We attach the front (Baffle) board. Again, plenty of glue and screws. Now for the port. I use a flush cut router bit to finish the port. But most of us don't have access to a router. We can do the same thing with a jig saw and a long blade. The port inside will act as a guide as long as you take it slow and easy.

How to cover a box with NO seams with be covered next.

To be continued

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

So what if I wanna use a round port, do I still do it the same way? The answer is yes.

We build the box first.

[​IMG]

Only after the box is done do we turn our attention to the baffle board. Again everything is cut out prior to putting it on the box. The port is attached using screws and sealed using plenty of caulk. Believe me, this is much easier while the board is not attached to the box.

[​IMG]

Once you are completely satisfied that the baffle board is done, it can be attached to the box. Remember, plenty of glue and screws.

[​IMG]

Again, there will be more to come.

5. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

good stuff! That port is huge!

6. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

I want to build a box with a 10" sonotube port SOOO BADD

7. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

Good work ranger! I follow a very similar process and they always turn out great. I feel ya on the sonotube azn. My local home depot has them up to 12 inches.

8. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

OK, I finally got around to finishing the box. A couple of things that I need to mention. First, you WILL need a good quality contact cement. Weldwood is the brand we use, its fantastic. Next, you will need a carpet made for covering boxes. The stuff you buy at Autozone WON'T work.

First, glue is applied to both the box and the carpet. Pay attension to the area around the port, get plenty of glue in this area. Next lay the box on the carpet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finish spraying glue on the box and get a little more on the carpet. Now here is the tricky part. Pull up the carpet around the box. Do this at the corners.

[​IMG]

You should have a mess that looks like the picture above

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  9. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Now if you have a really strong friend, he can help you finish. In order to have no seams or wrinkles we need to stretch the carpet until all the wrinkles are pulled out.

We pull the carpet up around the side, the wrinkles are definately there. Then the carpet is then pulled and stretched until the wrinkles are gone.

[​IMG]

This technique takes strength and practice but it works

[​IMG]

We do this all around the box

10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Again, we do this all around the box. If your using a good quality glue the carpet will stay in place

[​IMG]

It is important that you take your time. All the wrinkles have to be stretched out before you move on.

[​IMG]

Its actually a bit of work, but the end result is rather impressive. We have a box with NO seams and NO wrinkles in it. Again this method does take practice but it works well.

[​IMG]

All that is left is painting the port.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  11. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

so all the seems are on the back of the box. cool.

when i had my box made he sprayed the box and carpet and rolled the box onto the carpet in sections. then glued and rolled it over again.

my seems are on the sides. he overlapped the carpet and cut it in an X pattern.it came out looking nice too.

12. liftedranger08

liftedranger08 Full Member

Thats a good write up about the carpet. Im about ready to carpet my wall and ill use the advie that you gave.

13. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

14. Lazy Eye

Lazy Eye Full Member

Hey can someone please design me a ported box for my 2 15" fusions? I'm in no rush bc I'm not planning on starting this until I get some warm weather again but the dimensions are
    Width- 46IN
    Lenght- 46IN
    Height- 20IN

Thanks T.J.

15. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

there's a thread that azn made (Collaborative Enclosure Design Thread). post all of your info there, i just hope azn will be online. he has a few problems right now so he may be M.I.A for a little while.

16. 92civicproblems

92civicproblems Full Member

Is there anyway we can get like a material checklist for building a box like:

wood glue...
    type of screws...
    etc....

That'd be great.

17. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Sure you can Durk:
    1. At least a sheet of 3/4" MDF
    2. A good wood glue
    3. Wood screws (about 2" length)
    4. Silicone to seal the seams (also need a gun for this)
    5. Material to decorate box (paint or carpet)
    6. If carpetting then you need that glue mentioned originally.
    7. Polyfil (if you are using it)

Thats basically it.

18. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

one more. spray adhesive for the carpet. walmart has some for cheap. like 3.50 or 4 bucks.

i went to a fabric store and they wanted 7$ a can. so hit up the wal mart.
    i also did some trim panels in bed liner spray in a can. was like 8 bucks a can. 2 should cover it, just make sure the box is nice and smooth. for that some sand paper or a sander will come in handy.

the carpet is the easier choice tho as it will cover up most box imperfections.

19. 92civicproblems

92civicproblems Full Member

Awesome thanks.

Is carpeting just for looks or does it affect sound quality?

20. DatDude08

DatDude08 Full Member

Looks only as far as I know. They sell some textured paint that looks good, but I prefer carpet myself.