Is this a decent setup?

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Toorqs, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Toorqs

Toorqs Full Member

Planning to upgrade the stereo in my new car (MKV Golf)
    The front doors hold a 3 way system (7", 4",tweeter) and the back a 6,5" system

I listen mostly to melodic metal/rock/pop music, so i like the sound to be clean and distinct, im not after waking up the neighbours, but some punch when i feel like it. Playing at a moderate volume and still get good sound is a must.

I wont have a sub, as i need the space, and dont wanna pull it out every time it gets in the way.

By total budget is around 2500$.

HU: JVC KW-AVX810
    Amp: JL Audio A6450
    rear: Focal 165-V1
    front:a 4" component system + Kicker CVT8-4

Should be possible to fit an 8" in the front doors, and if i go with a 6ch amp i could do one channel for each of them.

Some feedback on this build would be apreciated

2. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

welcome, Since you have a three-way up front there are many options that you have. fitting an 8" in your door is possible but you may have to do some fabrication especially with issues like mounting depth.
    I wouldn't recommend getting a 6 channel amp because i don't think there is a need for one. Since it's sounds like you want more SQ (sound quality) then I think you should spend money on your front speakers and put a 4 channel amp to those. Leave the rears as they are. why???? when you listen to a band, do they play behind you or in front of you? of course in front of you so that's where you want to have all the goodies.

Now, I looked at some 4" components systems and there aren't that many. The only brands I saw worth taking a look at were focal and MB quart.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_13944_MB+Quart+PVI210.html
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9564_Focal+100+KP.html

another way you could do it is to buy a three way component system. I found a set of Dynaudio which nobody will argue with me are an awesome brand especially for SQ. They are 7" mid bass, 3" and 2 tweets. they are pricey but if you can afford it then these will not let you down.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8924_Dynaudio+System+340.html

Lastly, and a cheaper alternative is use a brand like tang band. I'm sure someone will jump in here and give you links to that.

3. Toorqs

Toorqs Full Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  4. Toorqs

Toorqs Full Member

double post

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  5. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Rainbow is a great brand too. I wouldn't go with blaupunkt. what's your budget for an amp?

6. Toorqs

Toorqs Full Member

well, depends on the price of the components i choose i guess. I've looked at the rainbow Ipaul amp, thats about 600$ in norway. Was hoping to get away with about 3-400$ tho.

Are the JL audio ones any good? seems i can get an A6450 for about 400 included shipping from Ebay.

If i go with the 4" focal set in the front paired with a nice 8" sub (might need a shallow one) it should cost me about half of what a rainbow/Dynaudio 3 way would cost. Should i expect the sound to be that much better from a 3-way? If i run 4 channels at the front with the subs seperate, i should have the posibility to tweak quite a bit with the setup i would think?

7. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Where do you live? you may want to look at elemental designs or even Sundown audio. They make some very good amps. They are both made in the U.S. though. I don't know if that would be a problem for you.

For me, JL is good but overpriced.

8. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

eD is made in the Phillipeans.

9. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

check out this 3 way
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

hi vi from parts express.

11. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

it's assembled in the Philippines but the components aren't made here. I know where they make them. It's in the Mactan export processing zone here in Cebu. can't buy any of their stuff here though.

12. Toorqs

Toorqs Full Member

Got an offer for a Rainbow system; Rainbow iPaul 4.300 amp, IQ320.2 (front) and IQ220.25 (rear) for a total of 1750$..

Would a "normal" person be able to distinguish this from a system half the price? (Focal+JL amp)

Btw. I imagined sticking the sub in a room i have in between the spare tire and the trunk floor. Theres little or no ventilation. Will that be doable?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  13. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

A sub in a place where there is little ventilation is fine. It's only amps that really need ventilation.

As far a the rainbow set up goes. I would advise you to listen to it then listen to other speakers. If you can't really hear the difference then don't spend all that money for it.. Let your ears tell you.

14. Toorqs

Toorqs Full Member

erm, typo. I meant to say amp, not sub.

15. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

amps need ventilation. you could put it there but you'll have to put fans in to keep the air circulating.

16. Toorqs

Toorqs Full Member

did some measuring in my car under seats and dash to find out what size amp i could hide completely. Seems all the amps i've been looking at were way to big..

Then i stumbled over a review of a Alpine PDX4.150 which will fit nicely under the driver seat or the dash..seems to have gotten good reviews aswell. Good choice?

17. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Alpine makes good amps.

18. jonnyv713

jonnyv713 The Young Gun of CAT

agreed.....

19. Toorqs

Toorqs Full Member

great, then i think ill go with one of those. should cost me about 500$ delivered.

That leaves only the speaker setup. I think the rainbows will be abit costly atm, so im thinking alternative setups. The doors on the car are reather deep. I measured apx 7 inches from the speaker grill to the outside of the door. havent opened it yet so duno how much of that is really buildable.

From what i can gather, sound from the back speakers wont influence the sound picture from the driver seat much. What if i put a 6.5 or 8 sub (if theres room) in the rear doors (6,5" opening) and drive them with 2 channels of the amp. I was looking at the 6W3v3 8W3v3/8W1v2 from JL. Would theese work from a door if i soundproof it? Any other good options? i also read could put some other stuffing into the door to deaden it?

In the front i will probably go with a 2-way infinity k-perfect or a focal system if i can get sufficient bass from the rear.

Does this make any sense? :huh::)

edit: I also se kicker has both a 6,5 and 8" subs. KICKER CVT65 and KICKER CVT8 respectively. they are really shallow.
    Would it be overkill with 2 CVT65(6W3v3) in the rear doors driven by one channel paired with 2 CVT8(8W3v3) + a 4"/5,25" 2-way in the front?
    (i have to many ideas, i know ;))

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008