6x9s vs component 06 tacoma doublecab

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by bodine76, Feb 12, 2008.

1. bodine76

bodine76 Full Member

hi there

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well, after a year and a half of putting up with the stock system in my truck (2006 double cab, prerunner sr5), i finally upgraded. went to the most respected car audio place in town and asked for a middle of the road upgrade. this is what they put in:
    -apline cda-9886, (silver single din kit almost perfect match!)
    -kicker ks693 6x9s (front doors)
    -kicker ks13 tweeters (front doors)
    -kicker ks65 coaxials (rear doors)
    -kicker 12" sub/box
    -memphis mcd500 (for the sub, 500 x 1)
    -memphis mca2004 (for the others, 50 x 4)
    i had originally planned to get alpine r series components in the front, but when the salesman found out the truck comes with 6x9s, he recommended the i use the kicker 6x9s and tweeters. i wasnt sure about this, but he and the installer pushed it.

well, i am now thinking i shouldve gone with the components. seems to be too much highs. what do you guys think?
    thanks for the input

2. t5munoz

t5munoz Full Member

Are your 6x9s coax????

3. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

actually those 6x9s are coax's...they say "3-way" but thats not true.

them telling you to get tweeters WITH the coax's makes me think they don't really know much about car audio.

Try disconnecting the tweeters and see how the fronts sound

4. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

ya a friend of mine has his truck done like that and i cant stand to listen to the system just because it makes my ears wanna bleed

5. bodine76

bodine76 Full Member

well, i went back to the store and had them pull out the 6x9s and tweeters and replace with alpine x series 6.5 components. it sounds SO much better. not as loud, but much clearer.

6. G3n3R@1

G3n3R@1 Full Member

whatever sounds best to you. personally i prefer clarity over loudness.