component speakers ?

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by red hot pepper, Jul 8, 2007.

1. red hot pepper

red hot pepper Full Member

why are component speakers watts so low compared to coaxil speakers if they are the better ones. I was looking at pioneers premier ts-c720prs for $250 they are 50watts rms and 200watts peak 6-3/4 component speakers now they are pioneers best speakers .Then you have coaxil 6-3/4 speakers out there 350 watts , 400watts and 6x9speakers at 500watts and higher for $60, $89,$120 and so alot cheaper than the conponents. I know there is a reason I just dont understand what it is can someone explain ???

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Alot of folks equate power ratings on speakers with how loud they are and how good they sound, this is NOT how it works!

Dont pay tooo much attention to the ratings, as long as you feed a speaker clean, unclipped signals from the amp, they will do fine. Unless of course you are pushing an honest 1000 watts into a 300 watt speaker, then we will have SERIOUS thermal breakdown issues!!!!!

3. red hot pepper

do you think the pioneer TSC720PRS components will give me great clarity I'm shoping around for components and I like these ones they get a lot of good reviews or if you have any suggestion i'm wide open

Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS Component Speakers

4. TheViking

Pioneer has been in the car audio buisness for about as long as any of them, and longer than most. They generally sell a good product.

I STRONGLY suggest you listen to them if at all possible, as with ANY speaker.

I could tell you they sound like gold! And to me they might, but to YOU they may night be to your likeing... If at all possible, go to a store and listen to them. If you cant listen to them, you are taking a chance on something you may not totally like. Just my educated opinion

5. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

he makes a good point.everyone hears diffrent.EVERYONE.

so go out and take a listen to some if possible.like he said^^^^

6. red hot pepper

I wish I could listen to them but they are not sold locally. There just aint alot of options here that I can choose from so I rely on the net to shop and learn. I'm from the Caribbean the Island of Barbados. We are not cave men, the taxes or so high here the stores dont bring them in because no one wants to pay so high a price so we usually just get low jack stuff . Thats why i read so many reviews and ask your opinions so I can feel out what to buy. I'm not stuck on pioneer any other suggestion would be great thanks.

7. pedro quiroga

well to answer your question on the pioneers.i read a positive review on them,but have never heard them personally.

i also personally have polk 6.5 coaxils that i took apart to make a componant set.i payed 90.00 instead of 199.00 for the seprates.i was told they are the same speakers just with out the passive crossover's.

to me it sounds great.i did save 100 bucks too.lol

also infinity makes a nice sounding speaker.i have the 4x6 plates.seprate 4in and tweeter.

lets see who else.......

alpine type S .i ve heard them.nice also.

i didnt much care for mtx.thier tweet sounded too harsh for my taste.

JBL! i've never heard a bad jbl speaker.

thats all i can think of.hope it helped any.

8. TheViking

Barbados! The owner of the company i work for is from there! He frequents his home down their quite often

Tell ya what, Pedro is steering you right. I have always liked polk drivers, home and car. Jble is another great speaker company. infinity, not sure, i aint heard them for a LONG time, and when they came into the car audio market years ago, i HATED there tweeters (the emits I believe they were called) But i tell ya what , If you like the Pioneers, you probably wont go wrong either. I have installed countless pioneer speakers over the years and was never disapointed in them. They generally do a good job for the money.

9. pedro quiroga

the tweets in my plate really didnt put out like i wanted.

when i added my polk tweets up higher...OMG.it was night and day.my sound stage moved up like a foot.from my belly to head level.

it was a HUGE diff in sound. i had to turn down the highs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. pedro quiroga

even though they are being blocked by the dash a bit they still put out some sweet highs.

think of it as them being attenuated some what.

11. red hot pepper

Glad to know you got a Bajan (Barbadian) working with you. If he is a Carnival kind of guy he would proberly be packing right now because our crop over festival is about to get hype. Thanks for the tips I will check out those brands and let you guys know which set of speakers I choose.

12. pedro quiroga

good luck.......

13. red hot pepper

I had a look at the components you both suggested they just as good as the pioneers nothing really made me want to change my mind except for the alpine spx series they look great but as you said its about the listener and i cant listen to them so i will stick with the pioneers i dont think they will let me down.

I now have to decide which amp to pair them up with between the JL Audio 300-4 or the Alpine MRV-F545 they both great amps but which one will be the best for the pioneers ? Tell me what you think

Here are the specs

JL Audio 300-4
    Class A/B Four-Channel Full-Range Amplifier

Rated Power(stereo): 75 W RMS x 4 @ 1.5 ohm-4 ohm (11V-14.5V)
    Rated Power (bridged): 150 W RMS x 2 @ 3 ohm-8 ohm(11V-14.5V)
    THD at Rated Power: <0.03% @ 4 ohm
    S/N Ratio*: >108.5dB below rated power
    Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 30 KHz (+0, -1dB)
    Damping Factor: >200 @ 4 ohm per. ch./50 Hz
    Input Range: switchable from 200mV-2V RMS to 800mV-8V RMS
    Dimensions: 13.4"L x 9.25"W x 2.36"H
    Differential-Balanced Input Topology: (2 pair of inputs)
    Front Crossover: fully-variable (50 Hz-5 KHz), selectable-slope LP or HP (12 or 24 dB per octave)
    Rear Crossover: fully-variable (50 Hz-5 KHz), selectable-slope LP or HP (12 or 24 dB per octave)
    Speaker output connections: accept up to 8ga. wire
    +12V and Ground connections: accept up to 4ga. Wire

Alpine MRV-F545
    125W x 4 car amplifier

75 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
    500 watts RMS x 1 (When channels 3/4 are briged) + 125 watts RMS x 1 (When channels 1/2 are bridged)
    Detachable front cover
    2-, 3-, or 4-channel output
    Tri-Way capable
    Bass Engine
    MOSFET power supply
    STAR Topology
    Speaker level inputs
    Preamp-level inputs
    Preamp outputs
    Oversized power and ground connections
    Gold-plated screw terminals
    Top mounted controls with cover
    Blue power LED
    WxHxD : 13" x 2-5/16" x 8-11/16"

Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS
    6-3/4" Component Speaker System

Sensitivity: 88 dB
    RMS Power Range : 50 Watts
    Peak Power Handling: 200 Watts
    Frequency response: 25-32000 Hz
    Diameter: 6.75 Inch

Features
    3-layer Aramid Fiber with Rigilite IMPP Composite cone woofer
    Short Voice Coil
    1-1/8" lightweight soft dome tweeter
    High density micro fiber surround
    Surface (angled) or Flush Swivel Mounting
    Audiophile-Grade with -12dB/Oct. LPF/HPF Outboard Crossover Network
    Gold Plate Binding Posts
    Watts MAX. Music Power: 200 Watts
    Watts Nominal Power Handling: 50 Watts
    Frequency Response: 25Hz - 32KHz
    Sensitivity: 88dB (1W/1m)
    Ohmn Rating: 4

14. pedro quiroga

both amps will be a great choice.

for me it would boil down to price.cause both put out their rated power and then some.