Need a new Radio in 2000 LS

Discussion in 'DVD Navigation, Video and Mobile Media' started by Bengal313, Apr 23, 2007.

1. Bengal313

Bengal313 New Member

I am in the process of replacing my radio head unit from my 2000 Lincoln LS. I want to put in a after market DVD/NAV unit. I don't want the ones that flip out. I want the one that is similar to the NAV system on the later released LS's. Double Din flush mount. Any suggestion on the which brand/model to buy?

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Pioneer, Alpine, Eclipse

3. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

1st pic is what your car looks like and the 2nd is basically what you want it to look like...

alright, Azn is right on the brands of headunits to look for. The only problem i see is trying to find a double din stereo install dash kit so your navi will look the same as the newer models.

I tried looking around and i couldn't find any as of now. All i could find is double to din kits. You COULD buy that kit and just cut the pocket out so the double din navi will fit. Don't know how good it'll look but that's just a suggestion cuz for the life of me i can't find a proper kit for your car..

Attached Files:

4. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Consider what I did with the Chrysler 300.

http://www.caraudiotalk.com/audio-forum/showthread.php?t=5068

Get the correct trim pieces or dash bessels from the dealer. The Chrysler went really smooth, but a little reasearch really paid off. It might work for the Ford also. I would suggest going to the dealer and looking at all his exploded veiw pictures.

You might have to get a little creative with the mounting brackets or the factory Nav brackets might work.

5. ibanezFreak87

ibanezFreak87 Full Member

any reason why no one mentioned kenwood? I'm dispointed

6. Bengal313

Bengal313 New Member

Okay here is the deal. I want it to look clean and stock as possible. I was told to order the stock trim from the dealer. Most of them I seen are silver. Do they make them in black and more importantly will they fit th 2000 LS? As for the screen size what would be a nice size that would fit properly. I was thinking about the AVIC-Z1?

7. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

Maybe I said it wrong, sorry. Make sure the trim bessels are the same before ordering. Looking at the 2 pictures posted by cccullen, they look identical.

At this point we need to do a little research before throwing money at it. The Chrysler project went smooth, no suprises. A couple of years ago, I also did a Mazda Miata. (I failed to document that one). The single din radio was replaced by a double din touch screen radio. This customer was picky, it had to look stock and it did. Again, no suprises.

There is no reason your project should not go smooth. Make sure the trim bessels mount the same and your AC/Heater controls will mount. Again, dont throw money at it till you know it will work.

8. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Hey Ranger, they look exactly the same from the pics only the 2000 model is black and the newer is like a brushed aluminum. What would you suggest he does about that? I think he still wants it to be black.

9. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

10. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

It can be painted. I would use a texture spray on it first that makes it look textured. I spray about 2 feet away, this way I can control the amount. I then spray the color. Stay away from glossy. It never works in a car.

Also, you've seen the euro wanna-be's. Don't use Krylon. I use SEM Color Coat. Its pricey but it works great.

11. Bengal313

Bengal313 New Member

Okay I am going with the after market Pioneer AVIC Z1. I am also going to order the bezel from the dealer and paint it black to match. Before I pony up all this cash. Is there anyone that has put in a Nav system in the LS and used the same bezel? Were there any special customizing and complications? Also I would love to see pics of someone that has done this. Thanx

12. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Wish i could help ya out on this, but cant...

What i can say is that Ranger is correct in the use of SEM products for matching or repainting (Dying) the parts...Use nothing but those products.....

Also, another tip for a more factory textured finish after the texture coat is applied...Use a very light buffing action with a very fine scotch bright pad, this will get rid of the more course texture...then dye it the proper color...also, as Ranger stated, dont use gloss....you will hate it...and use a hair dryer or heat gun to help out in the process.....if it is cool outside , be sure to preheat the spray cans

13. cccullen

cccullen Full Member

Yup, Ranger has the experience on this one. I would tell you this though, the navigation you want is a double din and the bezel you are going to buy is for a double din. I'm sure it will fit perfectly. If you really want to make sure, try to find out the dimensions of the bezel opening and compare to that of the pioneer. I'm sure it'll fit fine...