My Sister Did This

Discussion in 'Subwoofer Box and Custom Fabrication' started by Ranger SVO, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

My sister is not an installer, she is a Math Teacher. She is a little younger than me.

This is what she started with
    [​IMG]

This is the back deck of her son's car, she called me for some advice (she lives in S. Carolina and I live in Texas)
    I ask her to document what she did.

First she cuts out all the parts
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pre assembles

[​IMG]

And then final assembly of the car

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is not what I expected from a first time install, if my first install looked that good I would be great today. But it goes to show everyone what a little patience and fore thought can do.

And she knows math, help me a couple of times with Discrete Math, hope she up on Multi-Variable Calculus and Differential Equations.

2. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

WOW! Nice job for a first timer!

by the way, her cat looks just like my ol ladies!

3. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

the only pity is they used SONY speakers.....
    ugh when great installs go bad....

4. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

Give her big thumbs up for us, and tell her to get working on a sub enclosure.
    and it's okay that she used sony's.. 6x9's are easy to replace:D

5. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The speakers were her son's choice. And a Subwoofer is the next step. Heck she's off for the summer, I'll send her an E-Mail

6. Hautewheeler

Hautewheeler Full Member

don't forget to tell her that we all said thumbs up!:bye:

7. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Very nice...Never thought about making a new rear deck...what kind of wood is that?? 3/4 inch MDF??

How is it secured to the back deck??

8. camusmuse

camusmuse Full Member

ya know....that's a pretty cool idea......there's a lot of space up there

she could take it one step further and ditch the 6x9's and their pods and throw a couple 10" subs up there(same pod idea). Do a "stealth" grille covers(mount the speaker from the rear, then mount the pods to the boardf from the back(make it removeable), and it could damn near look stock. The rear window would act like a pseudo horn, much like camaros, firebirds and the old baracuda's

9. eviling

eviling Full Member

I like this idea :O I think i might do that just for something to do, i imagine the boxes are the hardest to build :\ you selling your stenciles :D

10. eviling

eviling Full Member

you've truly inspired me, posted that last comments months ago, and have finily put your idea into my car ;) i'm not doing 6x9's im just doing my standard 6 1\2's but i'm doing it for the better accoustics, and so i have tweeter mounts for the rare. i havn't decided how do do those tweeter boxes, i only just started today, picked up some 1\2" MDF

[​IMG]
    the holes are not for speakers, but the break light, but the more i thought about it, the more i realised...do i even really want to keep it in, unlike yours, mine completly pops off and is completly coverable, granted i'm fairly certain its illegal to not have a center break light in a car in the state of PA, i'm going to have to look into that. :|anyhow, thats my start, i'm going to trip them edges down on a bevel, and put some sort of fabric covering on it, with some apray glue and staples around the back side.

speaking of which, where did you get that felty stuff your rocking in your build?

11. CircuitedMom

CircuitedMom Full Member

The cloth that I used to cover everything came from a fabric store. I just looked for a fabric that I thought would be thick enough, but easy to work with.

12. eviling

eviling Full Member

yeah I was down at the fabric store saturday, looking at some stuff, they don't seem to carry the speaker box fabirc that you see on alot of boxes, but they had everything else you could immagine, i didn't commit to a buy yet, i havn't picked anything out yet. but i'm almost done with the building, just glued and screwed the boxes this afternoon. will be doing a final sand and maybe some body putty to fix some screw ups and than one more fine sand and i'm ready for fabric, hoping to have this all hooked up by next weekend. i'm geting the new speakers for the rare toamrow, along with some misc wiring hardware, and the 2nd set wendsday. and the new head unit comes before saturday, hopfully :-S i got a eclipse cd7200 MKII, i can't wait to hook that puppy up too :D

13. CircuitedMom

CircuitedMom Full Member

Post some pictures when you are done. I would like to see the finished product.

14. eviling

eviling Full Member

yeah, well i just got the rare speakers today, i droped the new 4 channel amp in last night, and i also got my new RCA's today, some pimp as$ MONSTER 6 channel RCA's, they are really nice got them for 38$ on ebay, they msrp for about 70-100$, they're top nouch :D

kinda iffy about my rare speakers got them off a random person on ebay, they were a deal, but the packaging was iffy and the box showed signs of repackaging, its most likly sombodys project left overs who just stuffed the stuff back into the box, but you never know some people are shady :-s but this time i seem to of gotten away with out any dmded goods, the speakers appeat to work, and the equitment is all here :D

as far as the box i'm building...well, i'm considering some additions to the idea your sister did, she did 3 way 6x9", i'm doing 2 6 1\2" 2 way compnates, i'm considering mounting the tweets up on the back, but i'm not sure how to mount them, i'd probobly want a 45 degree on them, but if i ever have passangers...they're going to leave my car with bloody ears :-s

anyhow, more pictures :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010