Help on older Alpine Hu

Discussion in 'Car Audio Head Units' started by patrickm, Jul 9, 2006.

1. patrickm

patrickm Full Member

Hi,

I have found an old Alpine 7905 that I want to install in my old Jag. My questions is what is the Aux input for. I was thinking that it was to connect an aux source (Ipod, Sat radio) to it but I can't seem to get it to work.

Anybody can help me with this?

Thanks

2. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

Then sux(aux-i really need to spellcheck) input is just for audio input. You can connect anything with a a headphone jack to it. Im not sure on the specifics of how it is used tho. Im sure someone will explain it better.:huh:

Last edited: Jul 11, 2006
  3. patrickm

patrickm Full Member

That's what I tought. But I can't find out how to get the unit to switch to Aux. Hopefully someone here knows the answer

4. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

you have to go into the menu by holding the function button down and then telling it to turn AUX on

5. patrickm

patrickm Full Member

Thanks for the info. I am not usually that unable to figure things out but would you bt any chance know which button on my HU would get me into the menu? I have been holding buttons to no avail for 20 minutes...
    Thanks again

6. CadillacETC1997

CadillacETC1997 Well-Known Member

on my alpine its the little button in front of the radio presets (on the left of them) and has a small F on it

[​IMG]

7. patrickm

patrickm Full Member

I don't have this on my old HU. I am sure it is something simple that I am going to kick myself in the butt once I figure it out...

8. patrickm

patrickm Full Member

Looks like, after going through Alpine old manual database online that it is a CD changer connection that would be pre-DIN based on the extra wires that are there. At first I tought that they were speaker connection in case the amp did not have RCA but by looking at the info on their web site, I am pretty sure that they are the Changer connections.

So now I guess I need to figure out if I can get the radio to beleive that my XM roady 2 is a cd changer...

9. weird22person

How old is it? Maybe it is time for an upgrade? Can you link to the manual?

10. patrickm

patrickm Full Member

It's pretty old but it is from the same vintage as my project car so I would rather keep it seeing that it is working fine. You know, old school audio in a old school Jag...

All I need to figure out to use to aux input to my end is to make it beleive that there is a changer playing. As of now, I can make it beleive that the changer is on pause but then I can't adjust the volume.

Worst comes to worst, I'll just use the FM transmitter build in the XM radio.

11. patrickm

patrickm Full Member

Did you get there throuhg the Alpine web site? I found that too. You can access it from there without a password but linking directly yo stylestandard, you need to have an user id.

I know that you can now but converter for DIN and AiNet to go from changer to Ipod and I think I saw some that also alow for Sat Radio but this HU predates those connections.

Thanks anyways.

12. weird22person

On the alpine mainpage http://www.alpine-usa.com/ at the bottom is a section for support. Click owners manuals.(duh) On the next page click continue without saving. (again, duh) In the search at the top input your model #. Click download, and there it is.:cool:

Im not sure if this answers your question but i hope this helps someone.

13. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

holy cow!!!!! a 7905, havent messed with one of those forever!

If i remember correctly, it is a cd changer input, the olde alpines run RCA cables for the audio section of the changer, not in the DIN cord as you stated, best i remember anyway.............

I dont recall ever using the aux inputs for anything other than a changer however, if there is a way to trick the inputs into working, I am not sure what it is. Chances are good that you wont be able to unless you know someone who is really good with electronics. I have a few ideas, but hate to tell you and be wrong and have your HU screwed up! Does the radio have a DIN output like i think it does????????

14. weird22person

Is this a different DIN than the one for face sizes?

15. kuens

kuens New Member

Cheap solution

Here is a very cheap solution to playback you music from ipod. It works very good for me.:) :) :)
    I have purchased one of those FM Transmitter from ebay. It is awksome. Here is where I bought the item.
    http://stores.ebay.com/Risefull-Direct

16. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Yes it is different, The DIN I am reffering to is a cable, or plug on the back of the radio, about .75" round and has anywhere from 5 to 16 connections in it.

17. patrickm

patrickm Full Member

It does not have a DIN connector, just 4 wires. Out Pause, IN Pause, Out Remote and in remote.