im gettin new subs (2 12" subs) and i need help

Discussion in 'Car Subwoofers' started by Tbusiness06, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Tbusiness06

Tbusiness06 Full Member

but i dont know what kind to get. whats the best subs i can get for $250 or less per sub? what would be the best amp/head unit to get with that?

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Do you already have an amp for the sub(s)?

How much do you wanna spend for a head unit?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ayv1fEQmQZB/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=520&I=065G21244
    One of these in a proper enclosure will rock pretty hard.

Boston Acoustics is a really good company...I'm gettin a pair of G2 10's myself.

Theses subs go with pretty much any kind of music and are loud and clear. From my comparison I'd take a Boston Acoustic G2 10 or 12 over anything else in its price range...Currently I have a pair of Alpine Type R's...They're loud and have pretty good SQ but are pretty power hungry.

You won't be dissappointed if you go with Boston.

Just my two cents...sure others here will give you other suggestions.

3. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

For the headunit go with Alpine. They are the best for $200 to about $400. Some pricier ones my be better but this is what youll probably want to spend. For subs go with Infinity Kappa Perfects. They are about $270 each but they are worth the extra money.

4. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

Ya, Boston acoustics always did have some nice sounding speakers, i always liked the sound of them. thye woudnt be a bad decision. Fusion makes some nice stuff, I am a big fan of thier stuff, very musical and hard hitting, also, I like Orion, they have some nice sounding subs, Kicker is Ok as is some cheap radio shack subs I heard ina small vented box last weeek!!!!!(hard to believe I know, they got lucky on his box i guess!)

My 2 cents on this is as always...........you can get advice from other folks on what is best for the money, but bottom line, get what sounds best to YOUR ear....... What I would look for is efficiency, or sensitivity, the higher the number the better, Higher numbers mean it does not take as much power to get loud as it does with lower numbers.

Also look for volume requirements, how much space are you willing to dedicate for a box.....some speakers like more than others to get good low end response

What kind of music do youlike? Boom boom rap or hard rock, country?????? that will determine what kind of box you want for critical listeners. and depending on the box, tuning, design, etc. that will help the decision of what sub to use.

All in all, listen to subs driven with power similiar to what you will be using, (within 30-50% of the power anyway) Listen to music you are familiar with, not what the guys at the store want to play. the final judgement is yours.........

5. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Well the Boston Acoustic G2 series fits pretty much all of that lol.

High sensitivity, low volume requirements, good low end, can boom and rock, exception power handling, and just because I said so...:)

Well my vote is still for Boston.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  6. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Bostons are great, but chack out Oz Audio. They make really some really great stuff.

7. Tbusiness06

Tbusiness06 Full Member

8. TheViking

those subs I am sure would make a fine choice/ Infinity has always made a good product......

The amp i know nothing about, last time i dealt with kenwood was over 10 years ago and at that time Kenwood amps , well, SUCKED!!!!!!!!! today may be a different story i am sure......

If the proposed amp is accurate in its power ratings, it would drive those subs very well.

9. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

10. Tbusiness06

Tbusiness06 Full Member

well im getting 2 subs so what would be the best amp? whats the channels have to do with the power output? how do you know if the amount of watts in the amp is how much its gonna put out to the subs?

11. weird22person

weird22person Full Member

Look at RMS for how much is going to the subs. Mono amps are more efficent for high power such as you would use for subs. Multichannels are used when you want to ampily speakers and tweeters. Different amp, different use.

12. TheViking

As many know here, i am not up to date on current equipment... I am an old school installer from 10 years past! But basic principles in design of amps has not changed that much from what I have seen

A 4 channel amp would not be the best chioce, heres why......

amps use a power supply, that power supply steps up the 12 volts of your car to a higher voltage (not gunna get to detailed here) Most 4 channel amps use ONE power supply to run ALL FOUR CHANNELS! thats ok most of the time, but if you truely want the best sound and power delivery to your speakers, that is not the best way. When the bass hits hard, the hihs will suffer (2 channels running the highs and 2 channels running hte subs configuration).

A dedicated 2 channel amp or mono block amp IS the best way to go......

As far as the best amp......what subs did you decide on?????

and what kind of box are you putting them in?

Its not a simple question.........their are lots of factors that determine what will be best.....

In general, i would get an amp that puts out at least 50 % of the power handling of the subs. And an amp that is of good quality. this is a very subjective question, as are most audio questions......

Like I have stated before in other posts, what kind of car do you have? what kind of music do you listen too? what kind of box? what kind of woofers, etc, etc, etc.........

13. Tbusiness06

Tbusiness06 Full Member

1999 mercury cougar. duel 12" woofer box its the normal kind covered in the grayish carpet. i listen to all music. dont know about the woofers amp or head unit yet but the ones on page 1 of this thread are prolly gonna be it.

14. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

If you go Boston you won't be dissappointed...These subs sound wonderful with any type of music...loud and low for rap....quick as the double bass can pound...i really don't listen to any other music but these can do it all.