Older Alpine HU with MPV-345

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by Graft, May 31, 2006.

1. Graft

Graft Full Member

I am installing an older Alpine CDA-7977 HU into my car and am considering purchasing a new MPV-345 4-channel amp to mate with it. It is available at a closeout sale and seems like an attactive buy ($225). I am wondering if the amp is good enough to mate with my HU it or should I save my money and buy something else. It is my understanding the Alpine 7977 was the top-of-the-line HU at the time and I don't want to compromise the sound quality with a inferior amp. The specs look pretty good and I have seen some posts that suggest it is a good amp. I realize the most important part of the system are the speakers and I think I have that covered pretty well. I wanted a McIntosh amp but the budget just doesnt permit it right now. Looking to build an audiophile quality system and not going for the most dB's.

I will be driving Focal titanium tweets with 6.5 Focal woofers in all four channels.

Does any one have the MPV-345 they can comment on?

greg

2. aznboi3644

aznboi3644 Full Member

Do you mean the MRV-345?

Well that amp is a pretty nice 4 channel. My friend has a lower model v power 4 channel thats 50 rms by 4 channels. It sounds really nice and all around it sounds terrific and their are even pieces of the music that i didn't even know where there until he hooked up his 3 way pioneer 6x9's to the amp.

I'd say go for it. That HU was pretty much the top of the line back then but it even tho its old it still is a great head unit. Your head unit and amp should work out real well.

Tell us how sounds and nice choice on the Focals

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  3. Graft

Graft Full Member

Alpine HU with MRV-345

You are correct that is a MRV-345, sorry. Sounds like you are fairly knowledgeable on the Alpines so I think I will go for it. I can always sell the amp on e-Bay later if I decide it's not what I'm looking for and upgrade.

Thanks again.

4. Graft

Graft Full Member

Changed my mind...getting a McIntosh

Actually after looking at the Alpine amp again today I changed my mind. I thought the build quality was a little cheap so I'm speculating that the inside components would be of similar caliber. I think i'm going to wait a month or two and pick up a McIntosh or something equivalent. Like they say, you get what you pay for. I'm not knocking the Alpine and am sure it sounds great, I just want to go higher-end. I will keep the HU though. By comparison the McIntosh has a much larger footprint for the same output and has a much, much higher build quality. I'm thinking it has a better power supply and beefier components in general. I have some of their home gear and it's a company that builds them to last as well as sound great! I would imagine the car stuff is the same leauge.