Was Sent Here From Caf - Need Battery Help

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by texcon, Mar 11, 2004.

1. texcon

texcon Full Member

I was sent to this forum from geolemon from Car Audio Forum - so you can blame him for another n00b.

Anyway, I am having a very difficult time deciding on a battery for my car. I have a 1997 Acura 2.5 TL and my battery is at the end of its life (had the dealer do a mad diagnostic test on it the other day). I currently have a PG ZX400ti amp running my sub and plan on getting another amp down the road to run some frontstage components (so likely nothing with too much power need vs the PG I have now). I expect the my two amps to be under 1000 watts easily when it's all said and done. I listen to music in my car almost exclusively while I am driving, so very little with the engine off. So that might help narrow it down a bit.

Over at CAF people's opinions are split as to what I should get. Some say get an Optima Redtop, others say to get a Stinger since it's made for Acura/Hondas, and others say to just get the biggest Die Hard/Delco/Interstate battery that will fit in my battery bay. So obviously I am confused as which direction to go.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Considering how little you are running, I would simply suggest an AC Delco battery, the one specifically designed for your car.

The PG should be quite efficient, and your habits don't seem to dictate to me that you need "the biggest possible". If you were pounding away with 1500 watts or so, bangin in the parking lot for hours on end, or suggested some light dimming/vehicle stumble when it hit, sure a red top may be a good idea.

I suggest a Delco because it is factory equipment for most Mfgs. Also, being a tech (AC Delco Master Certfied, ASE Master, including L1,) I simply see them give the best service of ALL brands out there. Delco simply has the highest expectation from the batteries bearing their name, and they do it better than anyone else on the planet.

3. geolemon

geolemon Full Member

Stupid me left his battery connected, and alarm on this winter...
    So guess what stupid me needs to buy this spring... :oops:

Seth.. you know my dillemma..
    Civic.
    4" wide battery.

I've been getting the Interstates..
    I did similar stupidity the year before... brought it in, got this one for a reduced rate... probably I could do the same with this one...
    Think it's worth it?
    Or should I go with one of those Delco's for the extra few bucks it would take?

And believe me, I'm not asking "what battery will last, when I forget to disconnect my battery NEXT year before it goes into storage" :lol:

4. texcon

texcon Full Member

Thanks for the feedback - I am going to go with a Delco. I actually have a Delco in my 76 Camaro and it always worked well. That PG is an efficient amp and if anything I need to upgrade my alternator, not my amp. Correct me if I am wrong, but once I start my car, the amp is what's powering my accessories, not the battery.

5. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

Correct, or at least close enough for government work. However, high output alts are typically worse for at idle low voltage conditions. They primarily develop power at higher RPMs and less power at idle, where light dimming typically occurs ;).

6. The_Ancient

The_Ancient Full Member

stop Braging.... we all know Auto Mechincs is a big scam :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p ;)

7. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Well since we're on topic seth what would you recommend for someone running up to 3000w. 105A alt. Light accessories. A/C a must in the summer.

I originally was thinking 4ish of the everstart maxx or whatever from walmart due to price. But I am also not liking the idea of having to cut a vent hole in my trunk somewhere for them. So I was thinking 4 redtops but thats like $400. But with the nice warranty I figured it may be worth it. Any suggestions on sealed batteries or opinions on the walmart brand?

8. sandt38

sandt38 Full Member

With a 105 amp alt I don't suggest more than 2 batteries, for daily use anyways. The 2 Batts should do well enough with 3000 watts for typical daily driving.

Wal-Mart Batteries are Wal-mart Batteries. I don't suggest them. I believe Exide is making a nice sealed AGM battery as well, but I have no experiance with these batteries, so this is second hand info...

You are looking to provide 3000 watts to your system, so it is apparent you are spending some money. Don't skimp where all that power begins. Buy decent batteries ;)

9. fugyaself

fugyaself Full Member

Oh yeah I didnt want to cut costs if it was really going to cause problems. I just see regal and a couple others saying they have good experiences witth them. But if I only need two a couple of red tops would be much easier.