Upgrading mid/bass speakers but retaining factory tweeters - advice plse.

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Speakers' started by STEREO STU, Jan 7, 2012.

1. STEREO STU

STEREO STU Full Member

My car has a factory front door setup of 17cm paper mid/bass driver in lower door panel and tweeter up by the A pillar.

As far as I understand it the 17cm driver is a full range driver which receives the full range signal from the head unit. There is no filtering that I can see.

The tweeter is wired in to the same speaker cable and feeds from it with an in-line filter (of what value I dont know).

I have some decent 17cm drivers from two way component sets that I plan to install but no longer have the crossovers of tweeters.

My head unit is a Alpine 4x50watt and so I'm sure the factory speakers aren't getting the most out of it, but the Alpine and Pioneer speakers I have to choose from should be much, much better.

So, if I replace the drivers but retain the factory wiring and tweeter, should I really consider getting a crossover and replacement tweeter - would I really hear that much difference?

If I do decide to get a crossover would any do or should I stick with Pioneer for the Pioneer drivers etc or are they pretty much the same components?

If not, how do I know what wold work better with the drivers and there new marriage with the factory tweeter?

Stu

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

I would replace the door speaker with a full range speaker. And yes you should hear an improvement. And I would leave the factory tweeter hooked up.