Noisy Whine Thru Speakers Using Charging Ipod with AUX Jack With Engine OFF!!

Discussion in 'General Car Audio Discussions' started by pharbach, Nov 6, 2011.

1. pharbach

pharbach New Member

Hi There,

I have an aftermarket head unit with an AUX jack on the front face. I use a double ended male 3.5mm cable to connect my IPOD to the AUX port of the head unit.

The Condition Exists regardless if the car engine is on or off! The key position is in "ACC":

I use a cigarette lighter type charger for my ipod. Whenever I want to charge the IPOD and connect it to the ipods dock connter, while listening to music, there is a whine heard through all speakers.

The whine changes slightly in pitch over time. If I operate the turn signal, I can hear the clicking sound through the speakers. Sometimes I can even hear the whir of the IPODS hard drive through the speakers.

If I disconnect the charger from the IPOD, the sound is crystal clear.

There is no noise when the head unit is selected to either RADIO or CD. Those modes are NOT affected.

There is no amplifier in the system. The head unit is a 200 watt head unit (4 x 50). Its just a straight run from the head unit to speakers using factory wiring. The only modification I did was to solder wire connections (and insulate them) between the head unit wiring to the factory wiring harness adapter I purchased so I wouldn't be cutting into factory wiring.

Do I need some kind of noise filter installed? If so, what type of filter do I need and at what location does it need to installed?

If I need a good ground, where can one be found in amongst the plastic in the dash panel? I have a 2006 Toyota Corolla if that helps.

Any help would be appreciated!............Thanks,

Paul
    ===

2. Ranger SVO

Ranger SVO Full Member

The first thing I would check would be the system ground, make sure you have a good chassis ground on the radio. But I think you already isolated the problem. Cheap chargers are no more than a couple resisters and a cap. There is no noise rejection capabilities. Check one more thing, make sure the cars power plug has a good ground on it also.

But find a good charger, something solid state. And just because its expensive doesnt mean its good.

Even better, an HU with USB.