sony 1000watt amp and sony 1200 watt amp problems

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by badlilboy90, May 29, 2011.

1. badlilboy90

badlilboy90 New Member

howdy guys ok i have a sony 1000 watt amp it says 370 watts per channel 2 channel i don't beleive it i have a alpine type r 12 dual 4 ohm subwoofer hooked to it the sony after 1.5 years of being with it blew 1 coil and now only running 1 coil and amp still getting hot and shutting off i have it bridged still and also i have 2 boston G1 12's 50watts rms 200 max on the sony 1200 watt amp been together for 3-4 years now i bought them from my buddy he bought them all 3 new and i built a custom box for them and slapped them in my S-10 single cab with my alpine type r 12 both boxes and ported and it's deep but i have them same way they were in his car dropped ohm load to 2 ohms and there single 8 ohm 4 ohm or 2 ohm u just change the fuse there set up with running 2 ohm from the sony 1200watt amp hows come the sony amp hasnt blown them in the 3-4 years they been together and also the amp gets hot and shuts off way after the sony 1000 watt does i have 8 gauge power and ground for both amps each it's own wires also i took fuse blocks off the wires there hard wired to the battery no fuses it hits so deep with all 3 subs my windshield flexs 1/4-1/2 in and everything in my truck and out side vibrates like no other thinking of upgrading later to either 4 boston g1 12's and a class D 300watt rms amp to run all 4 subs or 4 alpine type R 12's with 1 class D 2000watt rms amp or have to get 2 1000 class d amp doesnt matter but just wanting to get the overheating issue resolved right now thanks and the specs on the 1200 watt amp are as follows 200 watts x 2 at 4 ohms rms 500 watts X 1 at 4ohm rms thanks

2. Fbmowner

Fbmowner Full Member

I bought my sister a 2 channel sony amp years ago and had 2 12's on it. The subs were rated just for that amp. couldnt bump the thing for more then 10 minutes without it shutting off because it got to hot.. Its sony man thats really all i can think of, ive heard about this problem with ALOT of sony amps. In this case it may very well be that you get what you pay for.