Sub / Amp Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by randy, Nov 22, 2010.

1. randy

randy Full Member

OK i get that if i wire 2x 2ohm subs ( dvc subs ) at 1 ohm each it will create a 2 ohm load at the amp. my question is, what if I wire each sub for 1 ohm and connect them to a 2 channel amp ( zx450.2 225x2 @ 2 ohms ) and put 1 speaker on each channel. will the amp still see a 2 ohm load on each channel? or does that ONLY apply if I twist the speak wires together and bridge them on the amp? which would conflict @ 450x1 4 ohms. just curious before i try this and burn up my subs. if im not being clear let me know.

2. 6.5ldiesel

6.5ldiesel Full Member

The amp will see a one ohm load per channel, the way to get a 2 ohm load for both the subs if they were in parallel and "bridged"
    Your amp is not one ohm stable so running @ 1 ohm per channel would possible burn it up

3. randy

randy Full Member

thats what i thought. well can i run both subs to just 1 channel then? i know its only 225x1 rms @ 2 ohms but at least it will be something until i choose a new amp. prolly will wait until after christmas and pick up a mono class d amp.

4. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

you can wire those subs to 4 ohms each as well.

5. tommy2tone

tommy2tone Full Member

For now I would wire to 4 ohms each and connect to each channel just to be safe.Or you could get a 4 channel amp to work,just bridge the front and rear channels to each sub.Make sure you wire the subs for 4 ohm load and you'll be set.