What should I have my amp settings at

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by kenwoodguy, Sep 7, 2010.

1. kenwoodguy

kenwoodguy New Member

Hey everyone I was wondering if any one could help me with my settings on my amp as I am new to this and dont wanna damage my system. Here is the specs on my system...

Car 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT Coupe
    Head Unit Kenwood KDC-MP638U 50 x 4 Stereo
    Doors Kenwood KFC-1680ie 240W 2 way 6.5 Speakers
    Trunk Kenwood KFC-6980ie 450W 5 way 6x9 Speakers
    Amp Kenwood KAC-7202 920W 2 ch. amp
    Subs 2 Kenwood KFC-W3009 800W 12" Subs

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Brian

2. Klinkster

Klinkster Full Member

The 2 ways are rated 40w RMS and the 5 ways are rated 90 RMS so maybe amping them with a nice 4 way amp will give you a lil more love since the HU is prolly only dishing 20w RMS.

I don't know too much about subs, but I think that Amp you have is a bits small for your subs. Your subs have an RMS rating of 400w yet your amp is only 150w RMS. If it were me, I'd prolly bridge the amp and only use one sub. (but then again, I'm no sub expert, lol)

I see by your name that you really like Kenwood, but its OK to mix it up a little bit. IMO, Kenwood makes some pretty good stuff, but no one company makes every component great. :p

3. TheViking

TheViking Well-Known Member

except old school Orion.............

4. sfhellwig

sfhellwig Full Member

Not knowing what you know, the easy way to set a smaller amp would be to turn it all the way up, then back it off a slight bit. Operating at full volume allows clipping sooner destroying sound quality as well as equipment. (Trying this method with a larger amp is not good, increase volume slowly). That would be if that amp driving those subs were to perfectly match the fronts, which they won't. So without metering and comparing you will be subjectively listening and correcting for balance and flat response. Or suit to taste. On that amp a pair of subs will be loafing around. What impedance are the subs? If they are 4 ohm then you could use one, bridge the amp and get the juice it can give and with the amp rolled off a little you would be pretty matched.

5. TE5LA

TE5LA Guest

Your amp gains should be turned all the way down. Set your tone controls to zero (center) on the head unit. Set your LP crossover on the bass amp at around 80.

Put a CD in that has a good mix of instrumentation. Try to adjust the head unit volume to around 75% of the maximum. If you need to, turn the amp gain up slowly until you reach the highest level you're likely to play without going into heavy distortion. Now you can adjust your tone controls to taste.

Hope this helps.