Amp for focal's krx2's

Discussion in 'Car Stereo Amplifiers' started by JPG, Jul 26, 2010.

1. JPG

JPG Full Member

Hi All!

I currently have focal krx2's in the front door with tweeters on the dash (stock locations)

I have a 300/4 arc audio amp giving them 90 watts to each ch.
    If you don't already know the focal's takes 100 to 200 watts max.

I am not really happy with them right now I want them louder!
    I was thinking of getting the 600/4 HD JL audio amp with gives 150x4 watts. :D

I am wondering what you think about that amp or what you think owns it. I only have 13inches of space for the amp. Money isn't a thing but I care more about how well it will sound rather than settling for something cheap because of money. Don't get me wrong I don't want a amp that cost 1k.

THANKS!!!

2. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I just happened to be looking for a 4 channel amp tonight, so i thought id look around for you as well. I only found 2 amps that would fit in your 13 inches, the Alpine PDX 4.150 and the Infinity Kappa 4. they are both a lot cheaper than the JL but if you got the cash go for the JL, i really like their R.I.P.S technology and their quality is very good.

3. JPG

JPG Full Member

I could get the JL but I wont get it just because its JL or to pay for its brand. I want to pay for power and quality!

Thanks!!!

4. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

I agree with you, i think JL is overpriced, so are you going to look at the Alpine?

5. JPG

JPG Full Member

Now that I look at the arc audio 300.4 I have I notice I am giving them 175 watts to each channel unless they didnt exactly connect them that way. I feel like my focals are not getting 175 It seems like they are getting 75.

6. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

So the speakers are 2 ohm, but even if they were 4 ohm that amp still puts out 90 watts per channel and thats RMS, it should be plenty loud.

7. JPG

JPG Full Member

the speakers are 2 ohm so I am giving them 175 I think. and its not loud enough. I think I Need to dyno the doors more to push the sound out. I want it to be louder!!! I crank it all the way up with no distortion and It just does not hurt yet.

If dyno doesn't make it better I am going to add another set of focals in kick panels.

8. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

how high are the gains set and what signal source are you using

9. JPG

JPG Full Member

Gain is half way,

my set up is:
    kenwood DDX896 ** the people who installed it said they were upset and un happy with the deck.

amp: arc audio ks 300.4
    speakers: focals krx2

10. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Well you have 5 volt preouts to the amp so you have a decent signal, have you tried turning the gain up a wee bit, maybe its not up as far as you think. With 175 watts your ears should be bleeding. i think my amp only puts out like 35 watts and its pretty loud. So you got a good HU, good amp, good speakers, so it must be something with the settings somewhere. Anyway try playing with the gain, there is not set law or rule that says you cant turn it up a bit.

11. JPG

JPG Full Member

I will do that tomorrow for sures. Yah I am very disapointed. somethings up

12. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

im a little fuzzy on how your speakers are wired to the amp. the amp is a 4 ch and your saying it should be doing 175 x4, and that your speakers are 2 ohm.

is that- 2 ohm; mid and tweet combined, or 2 ohm per mid and per tweet? because i've never heard of a reg tweet that can handle 175 watts on its own.

unless you wired your amp in 2 ch mono mode. but its not stable into that 2ohm load if you did that.

or are you not using 2 of your 4 channels?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  13. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

Pedro, the speakers are 6 1/2 comps, tweeter/midrange rated for 100 rms and 200 peak per side with 2 ohm impedence. the amp is rated for 90 X 4 @ 4 ohm, 175 X 4 @ 2 ohm and bridged is 2 X 350 @ 4 ohm, so he cant be running them bridged that would give him 1 ohm load.

14. pedro quiroga

pedro quiroga Well-Known Member

each channel would see a 1 ohm load if he was running the amp at 2 ohm x2 mono.

i can see if he was running each front channel at 2 ohm stereo, then his amp would be doing 175x2 leaving him with 2 unused channels.

i can understand if he's running the amp @ 90 x4. one ch per speaker but he would need an out board xover or some really good passive xovers to do so.

15. JPG

JPG Full Member

16. JPG

JPG Full Member

Keep in mind this is under construction. The wak kicker amp is just temp for the w7

17. fstrfvo

fstrfvo Full Member

From the wiring it looks like hes just running 2 channels, each channel seeing 2 ohms so he should be getting 175 to each of the 2 channels

18. JPG

JPG Full Member

I messed with the cross over options on the deck and upped the gain. its louder now and clear! I know it can still be tuned better.

19. JPG

JPG Full Member

I am looking into this again. I think I am going to get a JL amp just to see if I can tune something better and louder.

20. JPG

JPG Full Member

I am back at it and looking to get back into fixing my system up.

I am now looking for a amp to power 4 - 6.5" and 4 tweeters.

all help much appreciated. I like JL audio and wonder about rockford